Colonel Timothy P. Alben, Superintendent
Lieutenant Colonel James M. Hanafin, Deputy Superintendent
| || || || |
Welcome to the Department of State Police website.
The Massachusetts State Police has served the Commonwealth since 1865, which makes it the oldest statewide law enforcement agency in the nation. The State Police has grown and adapted considerably since its beginning with a small group of investigators. The Department now proudly employs more than 2,000 sworn officers and 400 civilian staff who provide a wide range of public safety services to the Commonwealth.
Despite the broad scope of the Department's duties, many people are unaware of how many services the State Police perform. This page serves as an introduction to the department and our many functions and introduces the reader to our core missions and agency priorities which include:
- Partnerships with Federal, State and Local Public Safety
- Highway Safety through Enforcement and Education
- Forensic Science Support and Information Technology
- Homeland Security and Criminal Intelligence Support
- Protection of Civil Rights
- Violent Crime Investigation and Suppression
- Critical Incident Management Support
- Professional Management
- Statewide Communications and E-9-1-1 Support