The mission of the Parole Board is achieved by:
- Identifying those parole eligible offenders for whom there is sufficient indication that confinement has served its purposes and setting conditions of parole;
- Providing transitional planning, supervision and assistance to the offender and direction to relevant services that promotes responsible conduct;
- Enforcing compliance with parole conditions through the timely application of a graduated scale of sanctions, including a return to confinement;
- Developing partnerships with applicable federal, state, county and non-profit organizations in an effort to provide a continuum of risk reduction programming to offenders that reduces recidivism, maximizes resources, eliminates duplication and demonstrates fiscal responsibility;
- Striving to understand the concerns of victims and the general public, giving full consideration to these concerns when setting policy and making parole decisions; and
- Giving valuable and timely recommendations to the Governor on matters of executive clemency.
Parole Board Vision
The Massachusetts Parole Board visualizes itself as an agency whereby:
- Our commitment to the protection of the community and the concerns of victims leads to our being recognized as an integral component of the criminal justice system;
- Our decisions and the process by which we make them will be improved by continual research, evaluation and discussion;
- Public safety is enhanced through a comprehensive re-entry program which includes transitional planning, strong communications with all criminal justice agencies to enhance our decision making ability, partnerships targeted to provide state of the art, research proven, risk-reduction programming, graduated supervision levels to accommodate the accountability needs of all parolees under our supervision and educational/informational briefings to keep the public informed of our initiatives;
- We are committed to enhancing the job performance and professional development of our staff by maximizing communication, access to education, training and technology and information sharing;
- We respect, support and recognize each individual who works within this agency and the jobs that they perform;
- As a staff, we strive toward unity of purpose understanding that alone we may have our share of successes, but together, we can accomplish great things, and;
- We shall always endeavor to treat parolees with professionalism, fairness, respect and consistency.