Massachusetts General Law (MGL) c 143 § 3 defines three (3) titles for municipal building code enforcement officials (Inspector of Buildings, Building Commissioner or Local Inspector - collectively referred to as building code enforcement officials). The Inspector of Buildings or Building Commissioner is the highest ranking individual in the make-up of a building department. All other building officials within a building department's office structure are referred to as Local Inspectors according to the law (although cities and towns may have varied titles for these positions; i.e. assistant inspector, deputy commissioner, etc).
Additionally, MGL Chapter 143 § 3 mandates minimum qualifications for each of these titles. It is imperative that these minimum qualifications are met or exceeded by any individual seeking certification as a building code enforcement official. The Board of Building Regulations and Standards (BBRS) will not issue certification to any individual who is not able to demonstrate compliance with these minimum qualifications. Please reference MGL c 143 § 3 to become familiar with these qualifications or you may reference the Commonwealth's Application for Certification as a Building Code Enforcement Official, where the qualifications are reiterated.
All applications and forms are available via the links below.
Please contact Kim Spencer @ Kimberly.email@example.com or 617-727-3200 extension 25236 with any questions regarding the certification process. Please mail all forms to:
Department of Public Safety
One Ashburton Place - Room 1301
Boston, MA 02108
Attention: Kim Spencer
- Memorandum Building Code Enforcement Official Certification Important - Must Read
- Laws and Regulations
- Required Exams and Reference Materials
- Examination Approval Form Submit this form with an up-to-date resume. Approval is required before taking the exam.
- Application for Certification Submit this after successfully completing the steps for each level of certification.
- Extension of Time Request Conditional appointees may use this to request a time extension to comply with the examination process: after 12 months for Local Inspector; after 18 months for Inspector of Buildings.
- Continuing Education Policy to Maintain Certification For all certified building officials. Conditional appointees must attain 1-hour of education each month of employment until completing the required examination schedule.
- Continuing Education Credit Application Form (Attachment B)
- Attendance Sheet (Attachment A)
- Training Report Discrepancy Form (Attachment C)
- Forms for City and Town Clerks:
- Exam Registration and Candidate Bulletin
- Meeting Minutes