2015 Nomination Form
For 14 years, Amy Sweeney was an American Airlines flight attendant. She lived in Acton, Massachusetts with her husband, Michael Sweeney, and their two small children. On September 11, 2001, Amy Sweeney was working on American Airlines Flight 11, the first airplane that was hijacked and flown into the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center. Before the plane hit the tower, Amy Sweeney had the courage and bravery to contact the airline’s ground services crew to convey critical information about the five hijackers and their fatal actions on the plane that morning. It is for Amy Sweeney’s heroism, and the heroism and brave spirit of so many of the victims on September 11, 2001, that this award was created.
Recipients of the "Madeline Amy Sweeney Award for Civilian Bravery" must demonstrate exceptional bravery, without regard for personal safety, in an effort to save the life or lives of another or others in actual imminent danger.
To be considered, the nomination must include:
- Proof of Massachusetts residency;
- Names of two or more witnesses or individuals having personal knowledge of the facts surrounding the candidate's extraordinary endeavor;
- A detailed account of any public recognition the candidate has received for his or her endeavor. (This includes recognition or awards from any local, civic, religious, or other organizations as well as any press coverage of the event in which the candidate displayed exceptional bravery).
- A completed nomination must be submitted using this online form or you may download an electronic version of the nomination form , print it and mail it to Madeline Amy Sweeney Award, c/o Executive Office of Public Safety, One Ashburton Place Rm 2133, Boston, Massachusetts 02108.
- Applications must be received by July 24, 2015.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.