The Challenge is a joint effort of the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association (MCOPA) and the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security's Highway Safety Division (EOPSS-HSD). This awards program recognizes police departments for their traffic safety efforts in 2011 to reduce motor vehicle-related fatalities, injuries and economic loss in communities by combining traffic enforcement with public information, education, and training.
The MLEC is modeled after the national Law Enforcement Challenge presented annually by the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP). To learn more, please view the new MLEC Application (based on 2011 data) file size 1MB and the Step-by-Step Guide .
Here are some benefits to consider:
- Be recognized for making your community safer.
- Learn how other police departments deal with similar traffic problems.
- Top MLEC winners are eligible for awards of police equipment.
- All MLEC applications are submitted to the National IACP Law Enforcement Challenge for recognition and awards.
- National winners are flown to the annual IACP conference and attend the IACP's award breakfast. IACP pays airfare and hotel costs.
- Technical assistance will be available. Contact Caroline Hymoff, Sr. Program Manager, EOPSS-HSD, at 617.725.3334 if you have any questions.
To learn about the initiatives from some of the National Law Enforcement Challenge winners, please view National Law Enforcement Challenge Traffic Safety Innovations 2010-2011 , developed by the IACP and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Complete the Application and submit it to EOPSS for the Massachusetts Challenge. Deadline for the MLEC application submission is no later than Thursday, April 12, 2012.
Please carefully review the application. Two original applications and one stamped copy must be addressed to Caroline Hymoff, MLEC, EOPSS-HSD, 10 Park Plaza, Suite 3720, Boston, MA 02116.
We hope your police department will participate so it can qualify to receive state and national recognition for your efforts.