Mandatory In-service Training
In accordance with MGL Chapter 41 §96B, “Every police officer on a full-time basis in any such municipal police department, shall be assigned to and shall attend a prescribed course of study approved by the municipal police training committee for in-service officers...”
Each of the MPTC police academies offers mandatory in-service training to full-time municipal, University of Massachusetts and environmental police officers. This training is also open to any other police officer who is sponsored by the officer's department and on a space-available basis.
Annual Professional Development training is offered to reserve/intermittent police officers and is co-sponsored by the regional police training organizations and the MPTC.
- Visit this link to learn more about the MPTC Committee approved mandatory in-service training standard for Training Year 2016.
MPTC TY2016 Mandated Training Standard
July 2015 through June 2016
Please check here for the TY16 In-service schedule which will be posted the end of August or early September 2015. As a reminder, all officers must obtain 40-hours of training in TY16, and the mandatory requirements for the coming year include:
- Full day of legal updates (6 hours)
- Half day of eyewitness identification (for those officers who did not take the class this year) (3 hours)
- Half day of defensive tactics skills training (3 hours)
- Half day of use-of-force concepts and tactics revisited (3 hours)
- Half day to discuss emerging issues resulting from the national dialogue regarding police training and community interactions (3 hours)
- Online Critical Incident Response Protocol class (1/2 hour)
- Annual firearms training and re-qualification requirements
- Meet the statutorily mandated CPR and first aid training requirements