Municipal Police Training Committee
Police Academy Hours and Tuition
Police Academy Hours: This course is 800+ training hours, operates Monday through Friday. Start and end times are discussed at the Police Academy's Orientation.
MPTC Operated Police Academy Tuition: $3,000.00. Invoices are disseminated when the academy closes and seats are secured. NOTE: Please contact MPTC authorized academies for tuition costs and enrollment.
Applicants must be 21 years of age. The Recruit Officer Course Training Application is designed to create a training record in the MPTC database. Please type the information and E-mail it to Pat Caggiano, MPTC ROC Coordinator.
Note: Applications for Authorized (Boston, Lowell, MBTA, Springfield and Worcester) Police Academies are not submitted to the MPTC. Contact the authorized police academy directly.
When & How to E-mail the Application:
An Application is accepted when the candidate has met all the requirements to secure a seat in the police academy and the Application Packet in its entirety can be mailed.
How to E-mail the Application: Handwritten, Faxed and scanned applications are not accepted. The e-mailed Application does not require signatures.
PLEASE FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Click "file", "Save As", “PDF” - Rename the Application using this method: [Candidate's] Lastname-PoliceDepartment. [Example: "Lastname-MythicalDepartment.pdf"]
- Click "Save" to save the Application to YOUR computer.
- Attach the Application to an E-mail and send it to the Program's Coordinator, Pat Caggiano @ MPTC-RT@MassMail.State.MA.US
Mailing the Complete Application Packet:
For consideration, the complete Application Packet must be mailed to the Basic Recruit Officer Training Coordinator, MPTC H.Q., 6 Adams Street, Randolph, MA 02368 within three business days of the electronic application.
A complete Application Packet includes:
- The original Application signed by the Sponsoring Authority and the Applicant; (1) Original.
- Appointment Letter: [Full-time and Permanent Part-time hires*]: (1) Copy
An Appointment Letter is the candidate’s (actual hiring) . This letter comes from the department’s appointing authority offering the candidate a position as a full-time [or part-time permanent] police officer with graduation from the recruit training as the sole condition. This is required of applicants hired as a permanent full-time or permanent part-time (see below) police officer for a municipal, Environmental or University of Massachusetts police departments.
*Definition of Permanent Part-time: In an effort to meet the training needs for every police department equitably, a municipal, Environmental and University of Massachusetts police department that employs only permanent part-time police officers will fall under the same priority as full-time municipal, Environmental and University of Massachusetts police departments considered first priority when enrolling in a police academy (first come first served). The sponsoring authority must attest that department has NO full-time police officers to qualify for "Permanent Part-time" hire by checking the box “By checking this box, I hereby affirm my department has NO full-time officers.”
- Every Applicant: Pages (1) and (6) [only] of the Comprehensive Medical (1) Copy. Visit the link on the right of this page for information regarding the comprehensive medical exam or to download the medical forms;
- Every Applicant: The Official Physical Ability Test (PAT) result (1) Copy. Visit the link on the right of this page for instructions on how to schedule the PAT and the PAT schedule.
- Part-time/Sponsored & Sponsored applicants: Download: Waiver and Release for Sponsored Candidates (1) Copy - Definition of a Part-time/Sponsored applicant is employed as a part-time reserve/intermittent police officer, sponsored by the department he/she is presently employed. A Sponsored applicant is not employed and is simply sponsored by a municipal or University of Massachusetts police chief or Environmental Police Colonel.
Mail To: Recruit Officer Training Coordinator, MPTC H.Q., 6 Adams Street, Randolph, MA 02368. The Application Packet will be considered received on the date the electronic Application was e-mailed provided everything received by US Mail is in order and received within three business days from the date of the E-mail.