Municipal Police Training Committee
Police Academy Hours and Tuition
Police Academy Hours: This course is 800+ training hours, operates Monday through Friday. Start and end times are discussed at the Police Academy's Orientation.
MPTC Operated Police Academy Tuition: Effective July 1, 2013 student officer tuition is $3,000.00.
Invoices are disseminated when the academy closes and seats are secured. NOTE: Please contact MPTC authorized academies for tuition costs and enrollment.
Applying for the Police Academy
Instructions: This Application is designed to be submitted electronically (E-mail). Faxes are no longer accepted.
- Click on the link to open the Recruit Officer Course Training Application. Fill-in (TYPE) the form online. Answer ALL requested information in the fields (boxes).
- Click the "Print" button to print the Application BEFORE clicking the “Submit by E-mail” button.
- Click the "Submit by E-mail" button to E-mail your completed application: [Faxes are no longer accepted.] The Application is E-mailed to the Basic Recruit Officer Training Coordinator for the MPTC.
The Application will be considered received on the date the Application was received by E-mail provided everything received by US Mail is in order and received within three business days from the date of the E-mail.
- The Sponsoring Authority and the Applicant signs the printed Application.
- The original signed Application together with all required paperwork is mailed to the Recruit Officer Training Coordinator at the address at the top of the Application (6 Adams Street, Randolph, MA 02368.)
- A complete Application Packet includes:
- The original signed Application;
- Full-time and Permanent Part-time hires: (2) copies of the applicant’s Appointment Letter. A copy of the candidate's Appointment Letter (actual hiring) from the department's appointing authority offering the candidate this position with graduation from the recruit training as the sole condition. This is required of applicants hired as a permanent full-time or permanent part-time (see below) police officer for a municipal, Environmental or University of Massachusetts police departments.
Definition of Permanent Part-time: In an effort to meet the training needs for every police department equitably, a police department that employs only permanent part-time police officers will fall under the same priority as full-time municipal, Environmental and University of Massachusetts police departments considered first priority when enrolling in a police academy (first come first served). The sponsoring authority must attest that department has NO full-time police officers to qualify for "Permanent Part-time" hire by checking the box “By checking this box, I hereby affirm my department has NO full-time officers.”
- Every Applicant: (2) copies of pages (1) and (6) of the Comprehensive Medical. Click this link for information regarding the medical exam or to download the Comprehensive Medical Exam forms;
- Every Applicant: (2) copies of the Official Physical Ability Test (PAT) result. Click this Physical Ability Test link to the PAT schedule and instructions;
- Part-time/Sponsored & Sponsored applicants: (2) copies Waiver and Release for Sponsored Candidates
Definition: A Part-time/Sponsored applicant is employed as a part-time reserve/intermittent police officer, sponsored by the department he/she is presently employed. A Sponsored applicant is not employed and is simply sponsored by a municipal or University of Massachusetts police chief or Environmental Police Colonel.
- The original signed Application;
The complete Application Packet is mailed to: Recruit Officer Coordinator, MPTC H.Q., 6 Adams Street, Randolph, MA 02368. The Application Packet will be considered received on the date the electronic Application was received by E-mail provided everything received by US Mail is in order and received within three business days from the date of the E-mail.
***Note: Applications for Authorized (Boston, Lowell, MBTA, Springfield and Worcester) Police Academies are not submitted to the MPTC. Contact the authorized police academy directly.