Andover, MA 01810
Station A-1, Andover, was built in the late 1920's. By 1928 the station was manned and designated station A-1. Located on State Highway 125 near the intersection of State Highway 28 in Andover, the barracks served these two roads, which were main roads connecting the greater Boston area with points north. During these early times, the Andover barracks primary function was rural patrol. This encompassed everything from road patrol to responding to the local towns' needs for policing. With the construction of the interstate highway system in the 1950's, the barracks primary patrol area shifted to Interstate 93 and later included Interstate 495; a coverage totaling over 222 square miles within 12 cities and towns. Major roadways include interstate 93 from Reading to the New Hampshire State Line and route 495 from the Ward Hill Connector in Haverhill to State Highway 3 in Lowell. State Police Andover is also responsible for patrolling the Lowell Connector, route 213 and the scenic Harold Parker State Forest.
|Cities/Towns patrolled by SP Andover:|