Nelson Simao, Program Coordinator
The Massachusetts Parole Board has teamed up with housing vendors in the community to address the reentry needs of parolees and ex-offenders. The Transitional Housing Program [THP] provides up to four months of transitional housing and access to support services for parolees and ex-offenders. These support services range from job training to counseling for substance abuse and mental health issues.
Goals of THP
- To provide transitional housing opportunities in the community.
- To ensure that education, vocational training and substance abuse/mental health programs are an essential component of each housing opportunity.
- To place a substance abuse coordinator in each Regional Reentry Center. Parole's substance abuse coordinators are licensed clinicians, counselors, or social workers. They are contracted to provide parolees and ex-offenders with referrals to treatment, counseling and other services.
- To reduce recidivism and increase public safety.
- To enhance self-sufficiency; including the ability to obtain sustainable housing and employment.
- To improve access to health insurance, medical services, and other public assistance programs.