A Safety Plan For You And Your Child
Essex District Attorney
In consultation with:
North Shore Children's Hospital/HAWC (Healing Abuse, Working for Change) Parent Child Trauma Recovery Program
Do you know that:
- More than half of people who abuse their partners also abuse their children.
- 90% of children who live in homes with domestic violence are aware of the abuse.
- Children who witness domestic abuse are at greater risk for: aggressive, antisocial behavior, anxiety, depression and lower self esteem. Boys tend to become aggressive and girls are at greater risk to become victims.
It is important for children to know:
- The abuse is not their fault.
- How to get help and be given permission to do so.
- What they can do to feel safe and who can help them.
Please use the attached checklists and review your child's safety plan with them so that they feel comfortable with the steps they need to take to protect themselves.
Don't be afraid to ask for help! It could save your life and the life of your child.
You and your child deserve to be safe at home and free from fear and harm !
Parent Safety Plan
- I can seek help from neighbors, family or friends.
- I can keep a cell phone with me.
- I can pack an emergency bag for me and my children. (Include money, keys and important documents.)
- I can stay in a safe place.
- I can call the police or 911.
- I can go to court to get a restraining order.
- I can notify the school and work.
- I can talk to___________________________
For more information about safety planning, speak with an advocate in a domestic violence program.
Child Safety Plan
- When I'm scared, I can go to ______________________.
- I can ask ________________ to help me.
- I can call the police or 911 and ask for help.
- I can call my _______________________ at _____________________.
My phone number is ( ) _____________
My address is _______________________
It is not only important to give your child permission to seek help, but it is also important to practice this plan.
Caritas Holy Family Hospital Family Safety Project-Children's Program
Essex Children's Advocacy Center
Essex District Attorney's Office Victim/Witness Services
HAWC (Healing Abuse, Working for Change)
Jeanne Geiger Crisis Center
North Shore Rape Crisis Center
North Shore Children's Hospital/HAWC, Parent Child Trauma Recovery Program
Women's Resource Center (YWCA of Haverhill)
YWCA of Greater Lawrence
Download Brochure Format