For Immediate Release - January 25, 2013

Bradford Man Pleads Guilty to Motor Vehicle Homicide

A 52-year-old Bradford man pleaded guilty today in Salem Superior Court to charges in connection with a motor vehicle crash, in front of the Massachusetts State Police barracks in Andover, which took the life of a 30-year-old Bradford woman.

Robert V. Bryant, 52 of Bradford, pleaded guilty to felony motor vehicle homicide and attempting the leave the scene of a fatal crash in connection with the December 12, 2010 incident in which Cynthia Ray was killed.

Judge John Lu sentenced Bryant to two and half years in the House of Correction for the felony motor vehicle homicide, one element of which includes Operating under the Influence.  He sentenced him to another two and half years in the House of Correction, one year to be served, for the attempting to leave the scene charge.  The remaining one and half years of that sentence is suspended for five years during which he was ordered to refrain from consuming alcohol, submit to random alcohol screens and not operate a motor vehicle.  The sentences will be served consecutively.  The motor vehicle homicide conviction results in an automatic 15 year loss of his driver’s license.

“Once again, we are reminded that drunk driving is a senseless, reckless and lethal act.  Ms. Ray’s death was tragic and entirely preventable,” District Attorney Jonathan W. Blodgett said.  “Today the defendant takes responsibility for his actions.  While no outcome can lessen the loss of Ms. Ray’s family and friends, hopefully they found some consolation today.”

Had the case gone to trial, Essex Assistant District Attorney Michael Patten would have proved that on December 12, 2010, Bryant, while under the influence of alcohol and operating his 2010 Chevrolet pickup truck negligently, struck and killed Ray as she walked to her parked vehicle in front of the State Police Andover barracks.  Bryant continued to drive approximately 100 yards past the crash scene where a Massachusetts State Police officer found him.  Ray was initially taken to Lawrence General Hospital and was later transported to Massachusetts General Hospital where she succumbed to her injuries.

Patten explained that the sentence recommended to the Judge was agreed upon with full support of the victim’s family who are represented in the collateral civil action by Attorney David Angueira.

Bryant was represented by Attorneys Randy Chapman and Charles Rankin.  He was taken into custody following the hearing.