For Immediate Release - May 19, 2016

Quincy Man Sentenced to Life in Ipswich Murder

Essex Superior Court Judge David Lowy today imposed the mandatory sentence of life without parole on Sifa Lee, 38, of Quincy, who was convicted yesterday of first degree murder in the stabbing death of Shui Keung “Tony” Woo, 62 on September 27, 2011.

Judge Lowy also adopted the Commonwealth’s recommendation of 40 to 60 years for Stealing By Confinement, and 18 to 20 years for Assault to Rob a Person over 60 Years Old to be served concurrently with the life sentence.

In her sentencing argument, Essex Assistant District Attorney Kristen Buxton, told the court that her recommendation for the concurrent sentences for Stealing by Confinement and Assault to Rob a Person over 60 were academic given the mandatory life in prison.  However, she argued that this crime was so vicious, gratuitous, and calculated that it merited a lengthy sentence. 

“Tony Woo made all the right decisions in life and yet, he fell victim to this random act of such horror and depravity,” ADA Buxton said.  “There is no way to measure the mental anguish this has caused his family, his friends and his community.”

“The Woo Family has had to endure what no family should; the brutal taking of a loved one’s life compounded by endless court proceedings.  Their dignity and grace is a tribute to the kind of man Tony Woo was; entirely devoted to his family and community,” said District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett.  “I am particularly proud of the professionalism and sheer endurance of the trial team in this case.  They handled countless delays and constant challenges, due in large part from interpreter issues.   This case represents over four years of extraordinary effort by ADA Buxton and Mallard and excellent police work with the sole objective of justice for Tony Woo.”

"Tony Woo was not just another business owner in Ipswich.  He was a well-known and liked member of our community who sponsored local sports teams and community events.  Our entire community was traumatized by this crime," said Ipswich Police Chief Paul Nikas.  "I am thankful to all of the people who worked so hard and long to bring all of the people responsible to justice."

Essex Assistant District Attorney Philip Mallard second seated ADA Buxton and was instrumental in introducing the technical evidence at trial.  Massachusetts State Police Detective Lts. Steve McDonald and Norman Zuk, MSP Trooper Anthony Schena, Ipswich Police Detective Peter Dzaidose led the investigation, and Trooper Michael Murphy provided expert testimony concerning the digital evidence at trial.  Essex Victim Witness Services Chief Maureen Wilson Leal served as the victim advocate.

Mr. Lee was represented by Attorneys John Andrews and Larry Maguire.