The Essex County Sheriff's Department's top priority is to protect residents in the region from criminal offenders.
This is accomplished by:
- Housing inmates in a secure and fair manner.
- Providing rehabilitation and academic training to offenders while they are incarcerated, so they will not repeat their mistakes once they are released.
- Practicing correctional polices that comply with all local, state and federal laws.
- Using innovative correctional approaches that are in accord with the Essex County Sheriff's Department's top mission
- Informing and educating the public about the department through the media, tours of the facility and public appearances by the sheriff, administrators, K-9 Unit, and uniformed personnel.