Relatives and Friends
Inmates are allowed and encouraged to have family and friends visit. All inmates and detainees, except those who have lost visiting privileges through disciplinary process, are entitled to have visitors. In general, the following rules govern visiting:
- Visiting schedules are posted in the housing units and are available in the lobby for visitors.
- An inmate can deny access to a visitor by leaving a written notice in advance with the Visits Officers that they do not wish a visit from a particular individual.
- Visitor must provide positive identification by verifying their name, address, phone number, age, date of birth, driver's license number (if available), type of vehicle he or she owns, and his or her relationship to the inmate. A driver's license, ID from welfare including a current utility bill, a passport, military ID, governmental agency ID (including "green cards"), or a Massachusetts non-drivers registry ID.
- A maximum of two adults and two children under the age of 18 may visit an inmate at any one time.
- Visitors must be 18 years or older or be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. A birth certificate (must be presented prior to entrance of the minor). Minors will only be allowed to visit their parent, step-parent, grandparent, legal guardian or sibling.
- Special visits are granted in cases of extreme hardship or extenuating circumstances. All requests for special visits are made to the Security Department.
Visitors must dress within the appropriate guidelines of this code, or risk denial of visit privileges which is at the discretion of the Visit Officer:
- Clothing will be worn in the manner it was intended at all times.
- Clothing will be worn on the upper body at all times.
- Bare tops, bare shoulders and bare feet are prohibited.
- Halter tops, tank tops, tube tops, cropped tops, body T-shirts, see through tops, and bathing suits are prohibited.
- Headgear including hats, caps, kerchiefs, scarves and bandanas are prohibited.
- Any clothing that in the opinion of the Visit Officer, does not meet the institutional standard for appropriate dress is prohibited.
- Wedding bands, medic alert bracelets and car keys will be the only items authorized to be brought into a visit area.