Filing a Complaint with the Enforcement Division

If you believe that a state, county or municipal employee has violated the conflict of interest or financial disclosure law, you can file a complaint with the Commission's Enforcement Division. All materials relating to a complaint are required by law to be kept confidential, as well as the name of the complainant. A complaint may be filed by telephone by speaking to an Intake Investigator, or in writing via U.S. mail, or electronically by using the on-line complaint form.

Please note the following:

DO NOT file the same complaint more than once or use more than one of these methods to file the same complaint.

You will be notified when we have completed reviewing the matter.

If a complainant chooses to remain anonymous, we will not be able to contact him to follow up on his complaint.

The Enforcement Division will not return any materials submitted in support of complaints.

1. Call the Intake Investigator (617) 371-9500 or (888) 485-4766

Intake Investigators are generally available to take calls between noon and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. If an investigator is not available to speak with you immediately, one will return your call within one business day.

2. File a Complaint in Writing via U.S. mail

To file a complaint via U.S. mail, please include all relevant facts and a specific concern. Include the name of the public employee/official about whom you are complaining, his/her position, and the specifics of your concern in as much detail as possible. Please mail your complaint to:

State Ethics Commission
Enforcement Division
One Ashburton Place, Room 619
Boston, MA 02108-1501

If you are sending documents or records with your complaint, please be sure to keep a copy for yourself.

3. File a Complaint Electronically Using the On-Line Complaint Form

You may file a complaint by filling out the requested information in the online complaint form. Please fill out the form completely and in as much detail as possible. Please note that the complainant contact information (name, address, telephone number, and email address) is REQUIRED when filing a complaint online. Anonymous complaints cannot be accepted online. If you wish to file a complaint anonymously, please call, write or visit the Commission.

The Commission does not acknowledge online complaints by email. If you would like an acknowledgment, an oral acknowledgment will be provided. You will need to call the Enforcement Division at 617-371-9500 and provide your name, telephone number, email address, date you submitted the complaint online and the name of the person about whom you are complaining.