These instructions should be followed for all judge and clerk-magistrate applications filed on or after May 15, 2013.
NOTE: The filing methods outlined below are different than the instructions in Section 5.0 of <em>Executive Order No. 500</em> . The Executive Order authorizes the JNC Executive Director to prepare and periodically revise instructions for filing applications. Many JNC Commissioners now prefer to receive electronic copies of applications from the JNC office. Therefore, all applicants should follow the procedures detailed in paragraphs 7 – 10 below, rather than the instructions in Section 5.0 of Executive Order No. 500.
- Applications for judge and clerk-magistrate vacancies contain two parts, labeled Part I and Part II. Both Parts I and II of the application must be completed in full and in accordance with these instructions in order to be considered by the JNC.
- Do not rearrange the order of questions or remove any questions from the application.
- If a question does not apply, please state "Not Applicable" in the space provided. If information is not available, please state "Not Available" and explain.
- Please take care not to list the applicant’s name in Part II (or on the attached writing sample) because Part II is used for the “blind review” by the JNC. If, for example, listing the name of a firm or trust would reveal the applicant’s identity, use “XXX”: “The Law Office of XXX” or “XXX Trust”.
- To determine the correct “applicant number”, use the applicant’s middle initial (or “X” if no middle initial), followed by a hyphen and the last four digits of the applicant’s social security number. For example, John F. Smith (SS#: 012-34-5678) would have an applicant number of F-5678. If John Smith has no middle initial, his applicant number would be X-5678.
- Use 12 point font and include a header or footer on each page of the application containing the applicant number, date of application and page number.
- Due to an increased use of electronic copies, the JNC no longer requires that applicants submit 24 copies of the application. Therefore, please follow these new instructions until further notice.
- Submit via mail or hand delivery to the JNC (at State House, Room 54, Boston, MA 02133) one “original” of Part I and 12 copies of Part I and Part II. Attach the signed Certification and Waiver Form only to the original copy of Part I. (No additional copies of the Certification and Waiver Form and no “original” of Part II are needed.) Remember to attach: (a) a current resume as a cover to the original and all copies of Part I; (b) a writing sample as an appendix to all copies of Part II (respecting the 20-page limit for writing samples). Please keep the copies of Part I and Part II separate. Only Part II is reviewed by the JNC at the “blind review” stage of the process; Part I, including the resume, is not reviewed by the JNC until an applicant advances to an interview. Please use staples or binder clips; do not use spiral or other bindings.
- NEW: Do not include envelopes with your application. At this time, the JNC does not need addressed, stamped envelopes addressed to JNC Commissioners to be submitted by applicants.
- Please scan copies of Parts I (including resume as a cover but without the Certification and Waiver Form) and II (including writing sample) separately and save the documents in pdf form, using your ID number and Part I or Part II and the date to name the documents. For example, for John F. Smith with a Social Security #012-34-5678, the two documents would be “F-5678 Part I [date of submission]” and “F-5678 Part II [date of submission]”. Email these two documents as two separate attachments to email@example.com by the due date.
- Do not send your application directly to the members of the JNC. All hard copies must be mailed or hand delivered to the JNC and all electronic copies must be emailed to the JNC, as provided above.
- Closing deadline: All hard copies of the applications must be post-marked on or before the date of the posted deadline or must be hand-delivered on or before 5 pm on the date of the posted deadline in order to be considered. The timely submission of the application will be determined only by the receipt or postmark on the hard copies of the application, not by the emailing of scanned copies.
Please Note: The JNC application does not constitute a public record. After recommendations are made by the JNC, applications are forwarded to the Governor’s Chief Legal Counsel for review. In addition, applicants should be aware that the entire application may be reviewed by the Joint Bar Committee and, after nomination, by the Governor's Council.
All applicants should carefully review Executive Order No. 500 , with particular attention to Section 2.0, Qualifications for Judicial Office; Section 2.1, Applicants for Justice Positions; Section 2.3, Code of Conduct for Applicants for Judicial Office; and Section 2.4, Code of Conduct for Nominees for Judicial Office. Applicants should take care to avoid violations of the "Code of Conduct for Applicants" with regard to lobbying and political contributions. This code of conduct applies to applicants during all stages of the process, including applicants who have been recommended by the JNC and are on the 18 month slate.
Questions: Contact the JNC staff at (617) 725-4031 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.