GOVERNOR PATRICK CELEBRATES INTERNS' COMMITMENT TO PUBLIC SERVICE
HOLYOKE – Friday, July 11, 2014 – Governor Deval Patrick today joined staff and former and current interns to celebrate the successful internship and fellowship opportunities in his Western Massachusetts Regional Office. Since forming the office six years ago, 85 students have gained valuable experience and an important understanding of civic engagement and public service through hands-on learning. The office addresses public concerns and provides a vital link between the State House and the Western region.
“I want to thank all our past and current interns for making the decision to become active participants in their government and for helping us to make the Western Massachusetts Regional Office an important resource for constituents in the area,” said Governor Patrick.
In addition to the fall and spring internship programs, the Springfield Office manages a summer intra-agency program. This year’s intra-agency collaborative began June 2 and runs through August 15. This summer’s program has garnered support from several state agencies including the Department of Mental Health, the Department of Transitional Assistance, the Department of Early Education and Care, the Department of Environmental Protection, the Department of Revenue, the Massachusetts State Police and the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination. These agencies offer interns an inside perspective into policy implementation. In an effort to advance prospective career choices, interns meet with public officials, attend field trips and take part in a conflict resolution seminar.
“My fellowship has taught me how to reach out through grassroots engagement, support one another and unite communities in a concerted effort,” said Sharon Looney-Armstrong, a fellow and student at Mount Holyoke College.
“The Governor’s Western Massachusetts Internship Program has offered me an opportunity to work with an amazing group of people at the Department of Environmental Protection,” said Intern Jaenyffe Santos a student at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. “I am having a wonderful experience which I know will help me shape my education and professional aspirations.”
2014 Summer Interns/Fellow
- Micaela Adorno, Holyoke Community College
- Brandon Arizmendi, Westfield State University
- Maya Berkman, Wesleyan University
- Angelo Burgos, Westfield State University
- Nikai Fondon, University of Massachusetts Amherst
- David Janeczek, Cornell University
- Miguel Maria, Westfield State University
- Madelyn Mendez, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Deborah Mercier, University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Jacob Oppler, The College of Wooster
- Chelsea Pande, University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Darryll Roberts, Westfield State University
- Jaenyffe Santos University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Christopher Tibbetts, Springfield College
2014 Summer Fellow
- Sharon Looney-Armstrong, Mount Holyoke College
Follow us on – View our – Watch our