MSBDC is a partnership of the United States Small Business Administration ( SBA ), the Massachusetts Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development ( EOHED ) and a consortium of institutions of higher education led by the Isenberg School of Management at the University of Massachusetts/Amherst and includes Clark University, Salem State College, University of Massachusetts/Boston and University of Massachusetts/Dartmouth.
MSBDC's six regional business advisory centers, Mass Export/ International Trade Centers, and Procurement Technical Assistance Centers are designed to effectively service small businesses throughout the state. There is an MSBDC regional, specialty, or satellite office located within 30 minutes of any potential client.
Types of Assistance
- Business Advisory Service is provided through six regional centers housed in Pittsfield, Springfield, Worcester, Salem, Fall River and Boston full-time business advisors supported by the resources of academic institutions, provide business advising to small businesses. Feasibility studies and start up issues, business plan development, cash flow analysis, marketing and sales strategies, financial plan development, financing options and loan packaging, buy/sell and valuation assistance, technology and e-commerce assistance as well as assistance with equity business plans are among the wide array of assistance provided.
- Training is provided by MSBDC which conducts seminars, workshops, courses, and conferences addressing a wide range of business issues. Many of these programs are co-sponsored with local chambers of commerce, colleges and universities, community development organizations, and trade associations. For a current listing check online .
- Massachusetts Export Center offers services through four centers located across the state in Boston, Holyoke, New Bedford and Worcester. Massachusetts Export Center provides export counseling, technical assistance, international market research and promotion, as well as training to businesses. Expertise and guidance is provided in the areas of export market assessment and analysis, establishment of export market channels, international business development, export legal and regulatory compliance, export logistics and supply chain management, and global trade banking and finance.
The program works collaboratively with the Mass Office of International Trade & Investment (MOITI), MassDevelopment, the U.S. Department of Commerce and the U.S. Small Business Administration Office of International Trade.
- Minority Business Center (MBC) provides services on a targeted basis to the minority community of Greater Boston. MBC is sponsored by UMASS/Boston.
- Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) provides client firms with opportunities to receive an understanding of contracting requirements and the know-how to obtain and successfully perform federal, state and local government contracts. Small businesses headquartered in Massachusetts and in business for at least 1 year, can subscribe to a free bid-matching service informing them of bidding opportunities (when electronically available) matching their specific product and/or service profiles. The PTAC provides a wide range of assistance - such as: initial registrations, small business certifications, researching procurement histories, small business matchmaking conferences, proposal preparations for GSA, SBIR, contract performance issues and much more. To reach your closest PTAC advisor .
- Economic Development service is conducted through Massachusetts Small Business Development Centers ( MSBDC ) which assists local groups and communities in developing programs for small business creation, expansion, and retention.
MSBDC is required to serve only those businesses that meet the size standards defined by the U.S. Small Business Administration. These classifications have been set individually for different industries. In addition, a business must be independently owned and operated, have its principal place of business located in Massachusetts, cannot be dominant in its field of operations, and must not be a corporation that is a member of an affiliated group. Interested parties should call their nearest regional office for clarification.
227 Isenberg School of Management
Amherst, MA 01003-9310
Berkshire Regional Office
75 North Street, Suite 360
Pittsfield, MA 01201
Central Regional Office
950 Main Street
Worcester, MA 01610
<strong>Massachusetts Export Center</strong>
State Transportation Building
10 Park Plaza, Suite 4510
Boston, MA 02116
Procurement Technical Assistance Center
227 Isenberg School of Management
Universityof Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst, MA 01003-4935
Northeast Regional Office
Salem State College
121 Loring Ave, Suite 310
Southeast Regional Office
200 Pocasset Street
Fall River, MA 02721
Boston Regional Office & Minority Business Center
University of Massachusetts Boston
College of Management
100 Morrissey Boulevard, M-5-403
Boston, MA 02125
Western Regional Office
Springfield Enterprise Center
1 Federal Street