FY 2013-2014 State Plan file size 17MB
Fiscal Years 2011-2012 CSBG State Plan file size 3MB
CSBG Recovery Act State Plan file size 1MB (posted May 27, 2009)
CSBG Recovery Act State Plan - Appendices file size 1MB (posted May 27, 2009)
Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) is a federally funded, antipoverty program that was created in 1964 to promote and provide an array of services and activities to encourage self-sufficiency and to make permanent improvements in the lives of low-income families and individuals.
This program funds Community Action Agencies which provide services, programs, and activities that promote self-sufficiency for low-income residents.
CSBG provides core funding to 24 existing duly designated Community Action Agencies (CAAs). Each CAA is a private non-profit entity operated by a tripartite board representing private and public sectors and low-income people who reside or work in the designated service area.
Eligible Activities and Funding Requirements
Services provided by CAAs include, but are not limited to:
- Employment and job skills training
- Food and nutrition assistance
- Child development programs, including Head Start and center-based day care
- Individual and family self-sufficiency initiatives
- Youth development
- Fuel and energy assistance
- Domestic violence counseling and emergency assistance
- Emergency assistance such as, temporary shelter, hunger, medical assistance, clothing, conflict resolution, etc.
- Affordable housing and homeownership opportunities
- Assistance to homeless and "at-risk" families and individuals
- Transportation assistance
CSBG funding is distributed to the 24 designated CAAs based on a historical formula.
Each designated CAA is eligible for funding through an annual application process. In addition, CAAs are required to submit a Community Action Plan every three years and utilize the Results Oriented Management and Accountability (ROMA) process for the overall planning and service delivery process. CAAs are monitored throughout the year through both in-house and on-site assessments.
How To Apply
The annual application is restricted to designated CAAs.
Program & Fiscal Reporting
- 760 CMR 29.00 - Community Services Block Grant Regulation
CSBG Performance Measures Reports
- FY 2004 - 2005 CSBG Performance Measures Report file size 21MB
- FY 2002 CSBG Performance Measure Report
CSBG State Plan 2009-2010
- Final State Plan file size 4MB
General Program Information
For additional information, please call the Division of Community Services at 617-573-1400.