Program Description

EDIC creation is authorized by a state statute which allows municipalities identified as labor surplus areas by the US Dept. of Labor to establish Economic Development Industrial Corporations to implement local economic development projects in accordance with local approved economic development plans.

Such projects must involve industrial and manufacturing uses and are designed to decrease the unemployment rate and eliminate substandard, decadent or blighted open areas. The DCS provides assistance to municipalities in establishing EDICs to undertake redevelopment projects, as well as ongoing technical assistance.

Eligible Applicants: Any municipality designated by the US Department of Labor as a labor surplus area due to high unemployment is eligible to establish an EDIC under M.G.L. Chapter 121C.

Eligible Activities

In accordance with an economic development plan an EDIC may implement economic development projects designed to decrease the unemployment rate and eliminate decadent and blighted open areas existing in a municipality.

Funding Limits

DHCD provides no direct funding to EDICs.

Selection Criteria

In order to establish an EDIC, a municipality must first determine that the need for an EDIC exists. In towns this requires a vote by town meeting and in cities a vote by the city council and approval by the mayor or city manager. Subsequently, under M.G.L. Chapter 121C, towns must receive certification from the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) for the establishment of EDICs. Cities are not required to receive certification from DHCD.

How to Apply

Please refer to the DHCD publication,
Economic Development Industrial Corporation Information Sheet doc format of infosheet.doc

Additional Program Information

Urban Renewal Agencies htm format of u_ra.htm

Matrix of Organizational Characteristics pdf format of matrix.pdf

MGL Chapter 121C

USDL Labor Surplus Areas

Massachusetts Office of Business Development

Massachusetts - Its All Here!

Other Resources

Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs

Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection

Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act Office (MEPA)

Massachusetts Historical Commission


Massachusetts Brownfields Redevelopment


Massachusetts Housing Partnership

MassWorks Infrastructure Program

Associated Industries of Massachusetts

State-Subsidized Environmental Insurance

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development


For additional information, please call the Division of Community Services at 617 573-1400.

Recommended Content

People also viewed...

You recently viewed...

Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.

Learn more on our .

*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.