Priority Development Fund Planning Assistance for Housing Production has a total of $213,134 in recaptured and unexpended funds available to assist communities undertake a broad range of planning activities to expand housing opportunities.
The Priority Development Fund (PDF) was created in 2004 by MassHousing to provide funding to assist communities identify and implement strategies to increase the production of housing, both rental and homeownership. The goal of PDF Planning Assistance is to increase the supply of housing for a range of incomes in the Commonwealth by encouraging community-based planning that will lead directly to housing production. The PDF is administered by the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) on behalf of MassHousing pursuant to a Memorandum of Agreement between the agencies.
PFF Planning Assistance supports housing proximate to existing infrastructure, community services and public transportation, as well as projects containing ancillary commercial facilities that are secondary to the residential use of property. Priority for funding will be given to applications that support creation of as of right zoning districts for DHCD approval; address or encourage new housing production within city or town centers, on brownfields or underutilized commercial or institutional land, or as part of a transit-oriented development opportunity; and the adaptive re-use of existing structures not currently used for housing purposes. Applications must be consistent with the Commonwealth's Sustainable Development Principles.
Communities may apply to DHCD for PDF Planning Assistance of up to $15,000. The amount of PDF funds awarded will be commensurate with the anticipated impact of the proposed activities on housing production. DHCD and MassHousing reserve the right to designate certain proposals as “Initiatives of Exceptional Merit,” and increase the amount of assistance and corresponding scope of services for such projects.
- PDF Planning Assistance NOFA
- PDF Planning Assistance Application
- PDF Planning Assistance Application Matrix
- Sustainable Development Principles
- List of DHCD Pre-qualified List of Consultants
All cities and towns within the Commonwealth. Joint applications involving two or more communities within a region or with similar housing challenges are strongly encouraged as a way to leverage resources. One municipality will be required to serve as the lead.
PDF Planning Assistance is to be used exclusively for consultant services to undertake community-based planning activities that will lead to the production of housing, including:
- Community initiated activities such as education and outreach efforts that support the production of affordable housing, including:
- Efforts to build local support to achieve consensus on or approval of housing-related issues
- Efforts to create local housing trusts or local housing partnerships
- Activities associated with the production of affordable housing on municipally owned/controlled sites, including:
- Gaining site control, site analysis, financial feasibility analysis, preliminary architectural and engineering studies, and legal review
- Development of a Request for Proposal (RFP) for land disposition
- Zoning activities, including:
- Planning, outreach and adoption of smart growth zoning overlay districts under M.G.L. Chapter 40R
- Planning, outreach and adoption of other high impact up-zoning approaches that increase unit-per-acre zoning regulations within city/town centers and/or near transit, employment, retail and services, and other appropriate areas to facilitate more compact, vital development areas, including other types of as of right zoning districts for DHCD approval.
- Housing Production Plans, including:
- Preparation, update or renewal of HPPs under M.G.L. Chapter 40B and 760 CMR 56.03(4)
- Implementation of strategies for the production of affordable housing identified in DHCD-approved HPPs
- Communities are encouraged to meet with DHCD staff to discuss their proposed funding requests/activity prior to application submission.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
- Submit an electronic copy of the application to MaryJane.Gandolfo@state.ma.us. The electronic application is available at www.mass.gov/dhcd;
search: Priority Development Fund.
- Submit one hard copy of the application with the CEO's original signature by mail delivery to:
Attention: Mary Jane Gandolfo
Office of Sustainable Communities - PDF
100 Cambridge Street, Suite 300
Boston, MA 02114
- Fax copies of the application will not be accepted.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that its application is received by DHCD.
- All applications will be logged as to date and time received and kept on file as public record.
- DHCD reserves the right to request additional information as may be necessary in order to complete the application review.
Miryam Bobadilla, Senior Technical Assistance Coordinator, Office of Sustainable Communities, (617) 573-1356 or Miryam.Bobadilla@state.ma.us.