Public Housing and Rental Assistance has the responsibility for administrative oversight of all state-aided public and private housing programs that address the housing needs of low- and moderate-income families, the elderly and persons with disabilities. The Division is comprised of:
- Section 8 Programs, which cover rental subsidies, upgrading of substandard rental housing and a wide spectrum of support services tied to a rental subsidy;
- Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program, which provides rental subsidies in a flexible way that is more responsive to client choices;
- Asset Management which oversees the operation and management of 254 local housing authorities and their 49,368 public housing units;
- Housing Finance which has fiscal oversight of the financial records and capital expenditures of local housing authorities;
- Housing Development and Construction which has responsibilities for the design, development and construction of new public housing units and the modernization of existing ones; and
- Housing Inspections which conducts or supervises inspections of residential properties under various state financing, subsidy or other programs.