Committed to facilitating foreign direct investment (FDI) into the Commonwealth, the Massachusetts Office of International Trade and Investment (MOITI) acts as a partner, clearinghouse and connector for international businesses looking to locate, expand or invest in Massachusetts. Through partnering with the leading public and private economic development organizations across the Commonwealth, MOITI is able to serve as a single point of contact for international businesses and facilitate access to government and other economic development programs and resources at the local, state and federal levels.
Our business development team is ready to explain the benefits of doing business in Massachusetts and the ease of using Massachusetts as a base to access the wider U.S. market. They will identify the size, scope, and industry of your project and will assist in connecting you to relevant state agencies, business associations, and partners. If you are planning to visit Massachusetts to explore opportunities, our office is happy to meet with you to discuss your needs and facilitate connections and meetings with key partners in your industry.
To begin exploring opportunities, contact our business development managers.
Frequently Asked Questions
The telephone was invented here, as were fiber optics. From the first mutual fund to the first use of anesthesia to the first subway system, Massachusetts has led the way in innovation and ingenuity. In fact, Massachusetts’ ingenuity has led to the creation of entire new industries such as biotechnology, computers, software, plastics, telecommunications, and advanced materials.
Companies big and small, foreign and domestic, all find that a unique set of conditions exists in Massachusetts to give them the competitive advantage necessary to succeed and innovate in today’s marketplace.
Highlights of Doing Business in Massachusetts:
• Location and Logistics: Massachusetts provides affordability and access to major highways, airports, and rail transportation. Boston Logan International Airport offers nonstop flights to 46 destinations including Beijing, Dubai, Frankfurt, Istanbul, Tokyo, and other destinations across Europe, Latin America, and Asia. The state is also home to 6 deep-water seaports making for easy access to European markets and beyond.
• Access to Talent: Massachusetts has the highest concentration of Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees, as well as the highest concentration of science and engineering degrees in the country. The state was ranked first in K-12 Achievement conducted by Education Week in 2014. With the highest concentration of college students in the country, Massachusetts provides a ready pool of high quality talent.
• Access to Capital: Massachusetts has been ranked first in access to capital by CNBC in 2014 and is a national center of venture capital and angel investing.
• Access to Leading Research Institutions: The World’s leading hospitals and research centers in healthcare, biotechnology, and information technology are based in Massachusetts.
• Quality of Life: Birthplace of the American Revolution and home to numerous cultural institutions, Massachusetts is a wonderful place to live, learn, and have fun. Massachusetts was ranked first in the Quality of Life Index by Forbes in 2014 and leads the nation in primary and secondary school education.
What incentives and grants are available for my business?
Massachusetts offers a variety of tax credits and incentives to businesses looking to open or expand in the state. While MOITI does not directly offer incentives and grants, MOITI can facilitate introductions to the Massachusetts Office of Business Development (MOBD) and other state agencies to determine your eligibility for selected tax incentives and grants.
Learn more about tax incentives and grants offered by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
I am planning to visit Massachusetts to explore opportunities – where should I visit and who should I meet?
MOITI regularly hosts inbound trade and business delegations to discuss the benefits of doing business and investing in Massachusetts as well as to provide an introduction to government agencies, local industry clusters, and state and local incentives. MOITI can also help you identify potential site visits and partners to make the most of your visit. To learn more, contact our business development managers.
Are there other state agencies that can help me to open a business?
Massachusetts has a wide range of state and non-profit agencies that are available to assist you in launching or expanding your business in Massachusetts. View a complete list of partners, or contact our business development managers to identify the appropriate state and non-profit partners to help your business succeed in Massachusetts.
Does MOITI provide business matchmaking or partner-discovery services?
MOITI does not provide individual business-to-business matchmaking services, but can provide introductions to local industry associations in your respective industry to assist in finding partners in Massachusetts. MOITI also works with a variety of state and federal agencies with a wide network of contacts across the public and private sector and organizes networking events to facilitate new introductions with local companies for visiting business and trade delegations.
How do I find real estate or site selection?
Massachusetts has a wide variety of commercial and industrial properties available to support your business. For assistance in site selection, contact our site selection partner MassEcon or describe your site requirements to our business development managers for assistance.
How do I register my business?
All companies doing business in the Commonwealth must register with the Secretary of State’s office. For more information on the process of establishing your business in Massachusetts, visit the Massachusetts Office of Business Development opening a business webpage.
What professional services are available to international companies and investors?
As a hub of innovation and business services, Massachusetts has a wide variety of professional service providers ready to support your business activities across the State. For more information, contact our business development managers.
Are industry or academic partnerships between Massachusetts entities and my foreign firm available?
MOITI regularly facilitates introductions between international businesses, non-profit organizations and research centers, and governments and local academic institutions. Several of these partnerships have been facilitated under existing Memoranda of Understanding administered on behalf of the Commonwealth with foreign entities. For assistance, please contact our business development managers.