2015 News and Event Highlights
The events below highlight several of the international trade and engagement activities that MOITI has organized or supported in 2015.
- Assistant Secretary Nam Pham addressed the international trade and development community of Boston at the Global Business Alliance of New England (GBANE) 21st Annual International Business Forum and Networking Evening.
- MOITI joined the Massachusetts-Hokkaido Association to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Sister State relations between the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the Prefecture of Hokkaido in Newton. MOITI looks forward to welcoming a delegation from Hokkaido to Massachusetts in late 2015.
- Assistant Secretary Nam Pham and MOITI joined Governor Baker to welcome a delegation of Chinese investors to celebrate the opening of a US-China Innovation Center within the Cambridge Innovation Center. The center will serve as an incubator and exchange platform for Chinese start-ups to access the U.S. market and for Massachusetts based companies to access opportunities in China.
- MOITI hosted a successful “Doing Business in India” event in Boston to promote business cooperation between the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the Republic of India. A delegation of Indian business officials, industry associations, and banks led by the Consul General of India, Consul General Ambassador Dnyaneshwar Mulay, met with local business leaders and government officials to promote ties.
- MOITI welcomed a delegation of trade and investment officials from DubaiFDI to Massachusetts to explore business and partnership opportunities. During this visit, MOITI hosted a “Doing Business in Dubai” forum for local business leaders to engage with representatives of DubaiFDI and learn more about markets in the Middle East.
- MOITI traveled to Gloucester, MA with several international seafood companies and trade organizations to promote investment opportunities on the North Shore of Boston.
- Hunter Richard of MOITI discussed STEM education and economic development along the I-90 corridor at an economic development forum in Pittsfield, MA organized by Congressman Richard Neal and the Berkshire Chamber of Commerce.
- Brittany McDonough of MOITI joined State and Federal partners to discuss international opportunities for Massachusetts companies during the “Taking Your Business Global” event organized by the North Shore Technology Council.
- MOITI organized a luncheon between Governor Baker, Lieutenant Governor Polito, and the Consular Corps of Boston to discuss international engagement in Massachusetts. The Consular Corps are the 60 Consuls General and Honorary Consuls General representing their respective countries in the New England region.
- MOITI introduced the Massachusetts Innovation Economy to a visiting delegation of business leaders from Spain organized by the RCC Executive Program at Harvard University.
- MOITI organized a meeting between Governor Baker and Consul General Ambassador Zhang Qiyue of the Chinese Consulate General of New York at the Massachusetts State House
- MOITI organized a visit by a delegation of companies and officials from Catalonia to explore innovation and technology sites in Massachusetts and to discuss business opportunities.
- MOITI organized a meeting between Governor Baker and the Ambassador of Nepal to the United States Hon. Arjun Kumar Karki at the Massachusetts State House to discuss the May 2015 Nepal Earthquake response and reconstruction effort.
- MOITI welcomed a delegation of Turkish software and technology companies to Massachusetts as part of the Turkish Electro Technology Exporters’ Association (TET) mission to the United States.
- MOITI welcomed Edith Schippers, Minister of Health of the Netherlands, and a delegation of Dutch healthcare and information technology companies to Cambridge to explore partnership and business opportunities in Massachusetts.
FDI Wins and Company News
MOITI in conjunction with partner agencies is pleased to welcome a wide variety of companies that have recently expanded or relocated their operations to Massachusetts. A list of these companies is listed on the announcement pages of the 2015 and 2014 MassEcon Corporate Welcome Reception, an annual event highlighting companies that have recently made investments in Massachusetts.
A sample of success stories that highlight foreign investments facilitated by MOITI:
- A Swedish life sciences company established its U.S. operations in Cambridge, MA creating 10 jobs
- A Spanish education-technology company established an office in Massachusetts to access the U.S. market creating 9 jobs
- A Spanish clean energy company launched its business operations in Massachusetts creating 5 jobs
- A Japanese life sciences company established a research and development facility in Cambridge and made a $1 million initial investment, creating 3 jobs with the potential of expansion
- Over 7 international airlines have launched non-stop flights from Boston Logan Airport to overseas destinations supporting local jobs in the aviation industry as well as facilitating business and cargo connections between Massachusetts and key foreign markets