The Massachusetts Association of Regional Planning Agencies (MARPA) published a Best Practices Model to Streamlined Local Permitting. To create this guide, MARPA conducted a statewide municipal survey, hosted 14 permitting focus groups, conducted extensive research, and utilized the expertise of the Regional Planning Agencies throughout Massachusetts. The Best Practices are designed to make permitting more predictable, equitable, cost effective, and efficient while reinforcing local jurisdiction, encouraging community-supported projects, preserving local resources, and maintaining the standard of review.
A free Municipal Permit Tracking Software is available to all cities and towns via the MPRO website. The Municipal Permit Tracking System (MPTS) provides an affordable alternative for cities and towns to comply with best practices as outlined by the Massachusetts Association of Regional Planning Agencies (MAPRA) in the Best Practices Model for Streamlined Local Permitting
- Appendix F: References & Links
- MARPA Literature Review
- Automated Permit Tracking Software Systems: A Guide for Massachusetts Municipalities
- Summary of the Local Permitting Survey
- Summary of the Focus Groups
- Special Permit Checklist
- Special Permit Flow Chart
- Conservation Commission Order of Conditions Timeline
- Variance Flow Chart
- Definitive Residential Subdivision Flow Chart
- Wetlands Protection List of Forms
- Town of Sharon Developers Agreement for Sharon Commons file size 2MB
- Matrix of Statewide Permitting Guides by Municipality
- Sample Permitting Guidebook
- Town of Canton Development Handbook
For more information, please contact your local Regional Planning Agency as listed on Page ii of the Guide, or contact Cynthia Wall of the Metropolitan Area Planning Council at 617-451-2770 x2058 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.