State Launches Creative Economy Network
Applications now open for industry organizations
The Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development is now accepting applications for organizations to be a part of the newly established Creative Economy Network. The network is a regional effort to that will accelerate the economic growth of the Commonwealth’s creative industries across the state. The Creative Economy Industry Director and the Creative Economy Council , the Network will coordinate resources, track progress, and promote efforts to support these industries on the local, regional, and state-wide level.
“With over 100,000 workers and a $1 billion statewide impact, the creative industries in Massachusetts are an important part of the Massachusetts economy, said Helena Fruscio, Massachusetts Creative Economy Industry Director. “This new coordinated system will help us support the enhancement, encouragement, and growth to these vital industries in every corner of the Commonwealth.”
The creative industries include the many companies pushing the limits of creativity in the marketplace, including innovative video game companies, cultural non-profits, design, marketing and architecture firms, and the Commonwealth’s authors, architects, movie directors, artists and musicians.
The Network will help implement the Commonwealth’s Action Agenda to support and grow the state’s creative economy industries. Based on the findings of the 2012 CreativeNEXT Listening Tour, the Action Agenda identifies Five Areas of Action as key to the success and expansion of these industries:
- Business Development: Generate new opportunities for the businesses, organizations, and individuals working in the creative industries. Improve access to technical assistance, expertise, mentorship, and training for companies within the creative industries by bringing coherence and integration of the available state, regional, and local resources.
- Access to Capital: Increase access to direct financial support for creative industry organizations and businesses. Help coordinate trainings and mitigate barriers to access.
- Visibility: Bring awareness and attention to the value and quality of the creative industries in Massachusetts. Develop opportunities to connect, feature, and highlight the creative industries through events, campaigns, and content generation in traditional and social media.
- Talent: Develop connections to interns and college students within the creative industries. Generate initiatives for the creative industries to access and attract entry level, middle, and upper level talent.
- Space: Survey the existing and developing convening, incubator, and working space resources available for the creative industries. Seek additional opportunities to support the development of additional space and recruit businesses to use the spaces.
Each region across the Commonwealth will have a Network dedicated to the success and growth of the industries in its respective region. A region will cover at least 10 contiguous municipalities with one or more Lead Organization(s) responsible for coordinating and reporting of the Network activities in a given region.
Interested in being part of the Creative Economy Network?
- Review Guidelines & Application Creative Economy Network Application
- If you are planning on applying to become part of the Network, fill out the Intent to Apply Survey.
- All information and inquiries should be directed to Helena Fruscio, Massachusetts Office of Housing and Economic Development. Phone: 617-788-3602, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review Meeting July 1, 10am
1 Ashburton Place, Room 2101 Boston, MA
- Review Criteria & Process
- Discuss Applications
- Next Steps
Additional Review Meetings will be held quarterly in 2015.