North Central Massachusetts (NCM) is comprised of 32 communities offering an array of opportunities for every industry sector. NCM is conveniently located within an hour's ride of Boston and Worcester and is served by Routes I495, 2, I190 and I290. I95 is only 25 minutes away. The region is served by Boston Logan, Providence, Manchester and Worcester Airports and boasts a regional airport (Fitchburg) that can accommodate commuter jet traffic. NCM is an area that is proud of its heritage, diversity, safe neighborhoods, and excellent public schools.
Cities and Towns in North Central Region
Ashburnham, Ashby, Athol, Ayer, Barre, Bolton, Boxborough, Dunstable, Fitchburg, Gardner, Groton, Hardwick, Harvard, Hubbardston, Lancaster, Leominster, Littleton, Lunenberg, Pepperell, Petersham, Phillipston, Princeton, Royalston, Rutland, Shirley, Sterling, Templeton, Townsend, Westminister and Winchendon.
- Manufacturing: NCM has a well trained manufacturing workforce. One of every four private jobs in NCM is in a manufacturing establishment; one dollar of every three dollars in private payroll is earned in manufacturing. With over 450 manufacturing companies representing 17 industry sectors, the region has the highest percentage of private labor force employed in manufacturing in the state.
- Life Sciences, BioPharma and Medical Devices: NCM is home to the world's largest biopharmaceutical manufacturing facility that is being developed by Bristol Meyers Squibb plant in Devens. It is also home to the largest plastics cluster in the Northeast. NCM has a strong concentration of medical device manufacturers focused on providing high quality product available for the US and global consumption.
- Information Technology & Renewable Energy: recently IBM consolidated operations in NCM. Cisco, Monster.com and Stratus are all significant employers in the region. Evergreen Solar chose to site its new photovoltaic manufacturing facility in NCM. There is a well trained workforce in place to support the initiatives brought forth by these sectors.
Commercial/Industrial Zoned Land
NCM has many large tracts of affordable and readily developable land for sale and a significant number of facilities for lease. There are more than 850 acres of C/I land currently available many located in business parks with basic infrastructure in place. Many communities have adopted Priority Development Sites ensuring a 180 day fast-track permitting process. Devens, with its 75 day streamlined permitting process has become an economic engine for the area. Ample electrical capacity, high speed computer access, water, wastewater and gas are available to meet the needs of large and small users. There is rail access throughout the region.
NCM is home to two public institutions of higher learning, Fitchburg State and Mount Wachusett Community College, which offer Bachelor and Associate Degree programs. They provide customized workforce development programs to support the region's employers. There are several vocational schools in the area further enhancing workforce development. Less than an hour away are MIT, Harvard, UMASS and Boston University.
Outstanding Quality of Life at an Affordable Price
The cost of living in NCM is 15% lower than eastern MA and provides options for urban, suburban, and rural living. There are excellent public and private secondary school systems, with several communities ranking among the highest in the state for MCAS. Cultural and recreational amenities include skiing (Mt. Wachusett and Nashoba Valley), hiking, boating, fishing and competitive sports. NCM is home to the Thayer Symphony Orchestra, the Johnny Appleseed Trail, Freedom's Way Heritage Association, the Fruitlands Museum, the Fitchburg Art Museum and many other historical sites. There are also many hotels and conference facilities throughout the region.
- City of Leominster Planning Department
- City of Gardner Economic Development
- Fitchburg Redevelopment Authority
- Greater Gardner Chamber of Commerce
- Montachusett Regional Planning Commission
- Nashoba Valley Chamber of Commerce
- North Central Chamber of Commerce
- North Central Economic Development Corp
- North Quabbin Chamber of Commerce
- Wachusett Chamber of Commerce
Rosemary Scrivens, Regional Director
Massachusetts Office of Business Development
89 Shrewsbury Street, Suite 300,
Worcester, MA 01604