In the fall of 2010, the OIG, in consultation with the Commonwealth’s Human Resources Division, developed an introductory online course entitled “Bidding Basics M.G.L. c. 30B”. This online course is available at no cost and covers the legal requirements for the procurement of contracts by local governmental bodies for supplies, services and real property under M.G.L. c. 30B. This online course serves many purposes, including: as a refresher for staff who do not interpret the law every day, as a foundation for new hires, or as a quick review. More than 400 people have signed up to take the course.
The course takes approximately 2-3 hours to complete. It has been designed to be completed through, PACE, the Commonwealth's web-based Learning Management System (LMS), or at your standalone computer using a Compact Disc (CD). PACE should be accessible to any entity with an Internet connection. Upon registering with the Office of the Inspector General, you will be issued a PACE Login ID and Password so you may access the system for free.
The course includes seven chapters. Short quizzes are included at the end of each chapter to "test your knowledge." At the end, you will receive a certificate of completion for your records.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- apply the Chapter 30B dollar thresholds and procedural requirements to specific contracts for supplies or services
- differentiate between a bid process and a proposal process and identify the role of price in each
- explain the meaning of “responsible and responsive”
- identify the rules governing sole-source procurements of supplies and services
- identify restrictions on emergency procurements of supplies and services
- determine when Chapter 30B applies to the disposal of surplus supplies, and
- summarize the requirements of Chapter 30B, section 16 for acquiring and disposing of interests in real property.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.