- Inspector General Council Notice of Meeting 1-22-15
- Verizon New England Inc. Agrees to Pay Over $1.3 Million to Settle Allegations of State Contract Overbilling, December 2014
- December 2014, Vol. 20, #4, Procurement Bulletin file size 1MB
Inside the December 2014 Procurement Bulletin:
January - June 2015 MCPPO Schedule
- Energy and Energy-Related Contracts
- Whether to Lease or Purchase an Asset
- Inspector General Letter to Secretary Marini, Department of Public Utilities, on the Cape Light Compact Aggregation Plan, December 2014
- Inspector General Council Notice of Meeting 11-20-14
- Boston Fire Department District Chief Indicted, November 2014
- Inspector General Council Notice of Meeting 10-20-14
- October 2014, Vol. 20, #3, Procurement Bulletin
Inside the October 2014 Procurement Bulletin
- Alternates and M.G.L. c 30B
- M.G.L. c. 30B Threshold Changes
- Chief Procurement Officer Delegations
The MCPPO class schedule for the Fall 2014 semester is included.
- IG Employees Receive Commonwealth’s Citation for Outstanding Performance, August 2014
- Inspector General Council Notice of Meeting 8-21-14
- Inspector General Letter Commenting on House bill 4377 and a Theater Tax Credit Proposal - August 2014
The Inspector General wrote to His Excellency Deval Patrick, Governor, regarding House bill 4377, An Act Promoting
Economic Growth Across the Commonwealth. The language of Sections 52 and 65 creates a theater tax credit similar to that currently available for films. The Inspector General stated that any tax credit should have stringent safeguards to prevent misuse and to ensure that the Commonwealth benefits fully from the establishment of the credit. The Inspector General recommended safeguards.
- MCPPO Registration Form January - June 2015
Printable copy of the MCPPO Registration Form, including a list of all seminars, dates, locations and costs.
On July 31, 2014, the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) released a report detailing its investigation of the spending practices of Evan S. Dobelle while he was president of Westfield State University (WSU).
The investigation found that Dobelle had used credit cards paid for by WSU or its affiliated non-profit, the Westfield State Foundation, for more than $180,000 in purchases that were exclusively or primarily personal in nature, in violation of University policies. The OIG also found that Dobelle knowingly disregarded University policies, misled the WSU Board of Trustees, abused his authority, exploited public resources for his personal benefit and violated the public trust.
- Full Report: Review of Spending Practices by Former Westfield State University President Evan S. Dobelle, July 2014 file size 3MB
- The Bureau of Program Integrity's Review of the Work Program Requirement for Transitional Aid to Families with Dependent Children, July 2014 file size 1MB
- Changes to Chapter 30B Uniform Procurement Act Thresholds, July 2014
- Massachusetts Department of Transportation's Fleet Vehicle Operations, July 2014 file size 1MB
- Inspector General Letter Commenting on Senate Bill 2021 and and a Proposed Amendment Relative to Water Meters and Energy Management Services - June 2014
The Inspector General wrote to The Honorable Brian S. Dempsey, Chair, House Ways and Means Committee, regarding Senate bill 2021, An Act Improving Drinking Water and Wastewater Infrastructure. Section 12A of the bill would amend section 11I of chapter 25A, to allow for energy management services payments to be based on the installation of "metering or related equipment." The Inspector General stated that this change would not save money or promote conservation, but would increase the risk of fraud, waste and abuse.
- June 2014, Vol. 20, #2, Procurement Bulletin
Inside the June 2014 Procurement Bulletin
- Preparing for an Emergency Procurement
- Public Records
- IG Meeting with a Delegation from Russia
The MCPPO class schedule for the Fall 2014 semester will be available in the near future.
- IG's Hinton State Laboratory Investigation Team Receives Manuel Carballo Governor's Award for Excellence in Public Service (June 2014)
- Inspector General Council Notice of Meeting 5-15-14
- 2013 Annual Report
• The Office's efforts resulted in settlements and the imposition of fines totaling $4 million;
• The Office identified $42.5 million in potential cost savings per year for the Commonwealth; and
• The Office’s largest investigation in 2013 involved the Forensic Drug Laboratory at the Hinton State Laboratory Institute (“Drug Lab”). The Office conducted a top-to-bottom review of the Drug Lab after one of the chemists admitted to tampering with drug evidence results, raising serious questions about the integrity of the testing performed at the Drug Lab.
- Inspector General Council Notice of Meeting 5-9-2014
- 2013 Annual Report: Internal Special Audit Unit, March 2014
The ISAU formally commenced operations in April 2013. The ISAU investigated matters involving public corruption, excessive spending, potential lost tax revenue, and state contract bidding.
- March 2014, Vol. 20, #1, Procurement Bulletin file size 1MB
Inside the March 2014 Procurement Bulletin:
- Late Bids
- Gifts, Trusts and Grants
- The "25-Percent Rule"
Listing of New MCPPO Designees
- Update on the Office of the Inspector General Joint Investigation of Abuse of Disabled Persons Parking Placards, March 2014
- Investigation of the Drug Laboratory at the William A. Hinton State Laboratory Institute 2002 – 2012 - Executive Summary
- Bureau of Program Integrity's 2013-2014 Review of the Department of Transitional Assistance - Executive Summary
- Full report: Bureau of Program Integrity's 2013-2014 Review of the Department of Transitional Assistance, February 2014 file size 2MB
- Ongoing Analysis of the Health Safety Net Trust Fund: The Religious Exemption from Mandated Health Insurance Coverage - Executive Summary
- Ongoing Review of MassHealth and Noncustodial Parents' Health Insurance - Executive Summary
- Full report: Ongoing Review of MassHealth and Noncustodial Parents' Health Insurance, February 2014 file size 1MB