Designated Person Training (4 hour seminar)
The MA Department of Labor Standards will provide training to satisfy the Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA) regulation, 40 CFR sec. 763.88, for the Designated Person. This training is free of charge and focuses on the AHERA Management Plan requirements for schools K-12 as it pertains to the responsibility and role of the designated person.
- recordkeeping requirements
- obligations for new and renovated schools
- selecting licensed personnel for asbestos projects
- the top 10 AHERA violations found in schools
- how to determine if asbestos work is a "response action"
- asbestos notification requirements
- discussion of asbestos air testing
- vinyl floor tile maintenance, repair and replacement
Asbestos Awareness (2 hour seminar)
The MA Department of Labor Standards offers this seminar to custodial and maintenance employees and other interested parties who work in public facilities where asbestos-containing materials are present. Please note: this seminar does not entitle the individual to perform asbestos abatement. This seminar is mandatory under the Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHREA) for all custodial and maintenance employees in schools K-12.
- background information on asbestos
- health effects
- regulatory overview
- typical locations of asbestos in buildings
- special cleaning methods
- work by outside contractors
- care of vinyl asbestos tile
- building surveys
- the Operations & Maintenance Program and the asbestos management plan