(a) Asbestos Inspector. Certification as an Asbestos Inspector authorizes the consultant to review building records, perform visual inspections, collect samples, prepare written inventories and conduct other forms of investigation necessary to determine and document the presence and condition of known or suspect ACM in facilities. Certified Asbestos Inspectors shall apply current concepts and state-of-the-art knowledge to evaluate the conditions and accessibility of ACM and shall otherwise conduct their activities according to procedures described in current EPA guidance documents or applicable federal laws or rules and regulations.
(b) Asbestos Management Planner. Certification as an Asbestos Management Planner authorizes the consultant to utilize information developed from facility inspections to assess potential hazards of ACM, to develop O&M plans, and to select and recommend asbestos hazard control and abatement actions.
(c) Asbestos Project Designer. Certification as an Asbestos Project Designer authorizes the consultant to design Asbestos Response Actions through preparation of job specifications, bidding documents, architectural drawings and schematic representations of material locations. Except as mandated by AHERA for Asbestos Response Actions conducted in school facilities, the preparation of asbestos project designs is not required by 453 CMR 6.00. Where asbestos project designs are prepared, such preparation shall only be performed by persons certified as Asbestos Project Designers pursuant to 453 CMR 6.07.
(d) Asbestos Project Monitor. Certification as an Asbestos Project Monitor authorizes the consultant to function as the on-site representative of the facility owner or other persons, interpret project specifications or asbestos management plans and monitor and evaluate contractor or employee compliance with applicable rules, regulations, or specifications, including collection of the air samples at asbestos project sites. Certification as an Asbestos Project Monitor or in any other Asbestos Consultant discipline is not required for persons collecting only (asbestos) personal air monitoring samples.
(2) Qualifications for Certification. Asbestos Consultants shall possess the applicable prerequisites for certification listed at 453 CMR 6.07(2)(a) through (d).
(a) Asbestos Inspectors. Applicants shall have successfully completed the training requirements set forth at 453 CMR 6.10(4)(d) and shall have, at a minimum:
1. A high school diploma and a minimum of six months experience in an occupation comparable to that of asbestos inspection or two months field experience under the direct supervision of a certified Asbestos Inspector or Management Planner; or
2. A combination of education and experience equivalent to that set forth in 453 CMR 6.07(2)(a)1., as determined by the Director.
(b) Asbestos Management Planners. Applicants shall have successfully completed the training requirements set forth at 453 CMR 6.10(4)(e) and shall have, at a minimum:
1. a. An associate degree or certificate in project planning, management, environmental sciences, engineering, construction, architecture, industrial hygiene, occupational health, or a related scientific field; and
b. Six months experience in the asbestos abatement field, including experience in asbestos management; or
2. A combination of education and experience equivalent to that set forth in 453 CMR 6.07(2)(b)1., as determined by the Director.
(c) Asbestos Project Designers. Applicants shall have successfully completed the training requirements set forth at 453 CMR 6.10(4)(f) and shall have, at a minimum:
1. A bachelor's degree in industrial hygiene, occupational health, or environmental, biological or physical science;
2. Current status as a registered architect or engineer with a minimum of 12 months experience in asbestos abatement fields; or
3. A combination of education and experience equivalent to that set forth in 453 CMR 6.07(2)(c)1. and 2., as determined by the Director.
(d) Asbestos Project Monitors. Applicants shall have successfully completed the training requirements set forth at 453 CMR 6.10(4)(g) and shall have, at a minimum:
1. Two years of college credit or an associate or technical degree or equivalent; and
a. six months employment experience in the asbestos abatement field or
b. two months field experience under the direct supervision of a certified Asbestos Project Monitor; or
2. A combination of education and experience equivalent to that set forth in 453 CMR 6.07(2)(d)1. as determined by the Director.
(3) Application for Certification as an Asbestos Consultant. Applicants for certification in one or more of the consultant disciplines shall appear in person at one of the Division of Occupational Safety offices listed in 453 CMR 6.19: Appendix I, and submit the following:
(a) A completed application form with attachments, as prescribed by the Director.
(b) Asbestos training certificates, or legible copies thereof, indicating that the applicant has successfully completed the applicable initial and refresher training requirements for the Asbestos Consultant discipline for which certification is sought, as set forth in 453 CMR 6.10(2), 6.10(4)(d) through (g) and/or 453 CMR 6.10(5).
(c) Documentation demonstrating fulfillment of the qualifications listed at 453 CMR 6.07(2)(a) through (d).
(d) A list of all occupational safety and health-related citations or notices of violation, including notices of noncompliance, notices of responsibility, notices of intent to assess an administrative penalty, orders, consent orders and court judgements, received by the applicant in the two years prior to the date of application, and the issuing agency or department and final disposition of such citation or notice.
(e) Such other information as the Director may reasonably require.
(f) A money order or certified bank check payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in the amount of the entire annual fee of $300.00, or any other amount established for such certificate pursuant to M.G.L. c. 7, § 3B. A person applying for certification as an Asbestos Inspector and as an Asbestos Management Planner at the same time need pay only one $300.00 fee. If the Director denies, revokes, suspends or refuses to renew a certificate for reasons specified in 453 CMR 6.04, the fee payment is not refundable.
(4) Renewal of an Asbestos Consultant Certificate. An Asbestos Consultant certificate is valid for a period of one year. The Director may renew an Asbestos Consultant certificate, provided the current certificate holder appears in person at one of the Division of Occupational Safety offices listed in 453 CMR 6.19: Appendix I, and makes written application for renewal. Application for renewal should be made no later than seven calendar days before the expiration of the current certificate. The submission of a renewal application later than seven days before the expiration of the current certificate may result in renewal after the expiration of the current certificate. Said application for renewal shall include submission of the items referenced at 453 CMR 6.07(3)(a) through (f), including a current certificate of refresher training in the discipline for which certification is sought, as specified at 453 CMR 6.10(5).
(5) Delivery of Services. Because of the highly diversified, technical nature of asbestos consulting, comprehensive requirements for the conduct of the work are not set forth in 453 CMR 6.00. Asbestos Consultants shall perform the functions authorized at 453 CMR 6.07(1)(a) through (d), as applicable, in accordance with the requirements of 453 CMR 6.00, applicable EPA asbestos standards and protocols, including 40 CFR Part 763, Subpart E, other applicable federal standards and in accordance with professional standards generally recognized as "state-of-the-art" by the asbestos consulting industry and asbestos professional associations, and in accordance with current practices taught by Certified Training Providers.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.