Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP) is a recognition program administered by the Massachusetts Department of Labor Standards’ (DLS) OSHA Consultation Program for smaller, high-hazard employers who operate exemplary safety and health programs. SHARP rewards businesses with exemplary programs by removing the company's name from federal OSHA's Programmed Inspection Schedule.
Becoming a SHARP company takes commitment and dedication as indicated in the requirements below. A single consultation visit does not automatically make your company a SHARP member.
Employers requesting SHARP must meet the following criteria:
• Be at a fixed work site (construction companies not eligible).
• Have at least one year operating history.
• Have their lost workday injury and illness rate and Total Recordable Case (TRC) Rate below the national average for their industry NAICS Code.
• Have an established and effective safety and health program
• Agree to comprehensive safety and health consultative visits and to correct all hazards identified by the DLS Consultants. Agree to follow-up visits by the DLS Consultants.
• Agree to notify the DLS Consultation Project Manager prior to making any changes in working conditions or work processes that might introduce new hazards into the workplace.
• Have an established and effective safety and health program.
• Involve employees in the development, operation, and improvement of all elements of the workplace safety and health program.
Employers that join SHARP reduce workplace accidents, injuries, and workers’ compensation costs while increasing employee morale and productivity
Being involved in the SHARP process allows a company to utilize DLS Consultants’ expertise in a cooperative manner and to learn all they need to continue improving their safety performance.
By achieving SHARP status, a business has placed itself in an elite group of small businesses that maintain ideal injury and illness prevention programs. There are numerous benefits to SHARP. By being a SHARP member, businesses:
- Protect workers from all safety and health hazards that may exist at one’s workplace;
- Work with DLS Consultation to identify and implement best practices to protect one’s workers;
- Develop an innovative injury and illness prevention/worker protection program for one’s business.
Create a Culture
- Create a better working environment free of safety and health hazards;
- Boost worker morale by involving workers in creating a culture that emphasizes a safe and healthful workplace;
- Improve communication among workers and management;
- Encourage safety in the community as workers transfer safe and healthy work practices outside of the workplace.
Build a Reputation
- Receive official recognition from federal OSHA and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for achieving SHARP status and for maintaining an exemplary injury and illness prevention program;
- Become a leader in one’s industry by providing a safe and healthy workplace for workers;
- Attract skilled workers looking to join a business that is at the forefront of its industry in providing a safe and healthy workplace for its workers.
- Lower workers’ compensation insurance premiums;
- Improve worker retention and reduce costly turnover;
- Reduce worker days away from work to keep operations and production running smoothly.
|Massachusetts SHARP Businesses: |