You may be disqualified if you:
  • left your job voluntarily, without good cause attributable to your employer.
  • were fired for deliberate misconduct or violation of a company rule.
  • were suspended because you broke company rules or regulations.
  • left your job because you were convicted of a felony or misdemeanor.
  • are not able to work, available for work or actively seeking employment.
  • are unemployed because you are participating in a work stoppage due to a labor dispute.
  • refuse an offer of suitable employment.
  • are working full-time, either self-employed or for an employer.

If you are disqualified, you may file an appeal.  

You will receive a notice of your disqualification and information on filing your appeal. You can request a hearing using UI Online or by completing the request included with your disqualification notice.  You have 10 days to file an appeal. Do not delay submitting your appeal. As soon as you appeal, it is important to begin immediate preparations for your hearing.

At your hearing, you have the right to be represented by a lawyer or any other person you believe will be able to assist you in presenting your case. If you want legal representation and cannot afford to pay an attorney, local legal service agencies may be able to help you.

The Massachusetts Bar Association may also be able to refer you to a lawyer who handles unemployment insurance cases. Because of the time it may take to obtain a lawyer and prepare your case, if you decide that you want a lawyer, you should arrange for representation as soon as you are informed of your disqualification. Do not wait until you are given the actual date of your hearing.

Continue requesting benefit payment weekly 

If you decide to appeal and are waiting for a hearing, continue requesting benefit payment weekly and your work search activities for any weeks you are unemployed. It is also important that you maintain records of these work search activities. By doing this, you will protect your rights to receive benefits, should you win your appeal.

You have additional appeal rights

If you remain disqualified following your appeal and hearing, you may appeal to the independent Board of Review. If your appeal to the Board of Review is not successful, you have the right to file an appeal in district court.

If you have an overpayment

If you received benefits, are then disqualified, and your disqualification is not overturned as a result of your appeal, you will have what is known as an "overpayment." This means you received benefits to which you were not entitled and you may be required to repay these benefits to DUA.

Repayment is required in all cases where the overpayment is determined to be a result of fraud.

A waiver of overpayment which means you do not have to repay DUA may be requested in cases where the overpayment is not the result of fraud.

Obtaining a waiver of overpayment

If you wish to apply for a waiver, you can do so using UI Online or by calling the TeleClaim Center and ask to have the form mailed to you.

The waiver application requests information on your current financial situation, including your income and financial assets and property. It is important to complete all requested information.

If your waiver request is denied, you have the right to a further appeal.