15 Things To Do Now To Winterize Your Home
- Contact MassSave at 1-866-527-7283 or www.masssave.com to see how to qualify for rebates on purchases of energy efficient items and learn about energy audits.
- Caulk or weatherstrip windows and doors to prevent heat loss.
- Install a programmable thermostat to automatically drop to a lower temperature at night and at times when you are away from your house.
- Seal air leaks, especially from heated space to the attic, and from outside to the basement. (for help, read EPA's do-it-yourself guide to air sealing and insulating.
- Tape a sheet of aluminum foil (shiny side out) to the wall behind radiators; this will help make them more efficient.
- Insulate your attic, walls, basement (ceiling if your basement is unheated, walls and floor if it's heated), and crawl space.
- Install storm windows and doors to help keep out drafts.
- Move chairs and beds away from exterior walls; these are usually the coldest walls in the house, and make sure warm-air registers are not blocked by furniture, carpeting, or drapes.
- Install aerating, low-flow faucets and showerheads to save hot water.
- Lower the thermostat on water heater. Factory settings may be higher than necessary. A setting of 120º provides comfortable hot water for most uses and can save on water heating costs.
- Insulate pipes or ducts in the basement leading from both your heating furnace/boiler and your hot water heater.
- Do an annual tune-up of your heating system.
- Clean and replace filters on furnace once a month or as needed to permit better air flow through the house.
- Clean warm-air registers, baseboards heaters, and radiators.
- Keep the damper closed when your fireplace is not in use to keep warm air in.
- Keep the draperies and shades on windows open during the day to allow the sunlight to enter your home.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.