1. How does the Medical Security Program work?
2. How long does the Medical Security Plan (MSP) health insurance benefits last?
3. What happens when my Unemployment Insurance benefits run out?

1. How does the Medical Security Program work?
If you are eligible for Unemployment Insurance benefits in Massachusetts and you are a resident of MA, and meet certain income eligibility guidelines, you and your family may also qualify for health insurance coverage under the
Medical Security Program (MSP). You can get help with COBRA Payments, or Health Insurance you purchase on your own or enrollment in a free Health Insurance Plan. You will receive additional information about the MSP along with an application form in a separate mailing within 10 days of the date when you applied for UI benefits. If you do not receive the MSP package, or if you would like more information about the MSP, please call 1-800-908-8801.

2. How long does the Medical Security Plan (MSP) health insurance benefits last?
Your MSP coverage ends when you stop receiving unemployment benefits. Your MSP coverage is over seven (7) days after the week-ending date of your final unemployment insurance check or seven days after the date you become ineligible for unemployment insurance  benefits.

3. What happens when my Unemployment Insurance benefits run out?
Unemployment Insurance is a temporary benefit program. It is important that you start looking for work right away at the beginning of your claim. Our Career Centers are here to help you. You should take advantage of the many services provided by the Career Centers and most of them at no cost to you.  
See listing of Career Centers.

If your unemployment benefits end and you still need health insurance, the state’s Health Connector may provide options for you. Commonwealth Choice offers a wide choice of commercial insurance plans from name-brand insurers, backed with the state’s Seal of Approval. Commonwealth Care is low or no-cost health insurance for people who qualify.


Go to MAhealthconnector.org Or call 1-877-MA-ENROLL (1-877-623-6765). For hearing impaired relay services, call 1-800-439-0183 or 711.


Review additional FAQs related to:
>Filing or Reopening a Claim
>Issues with Claims
>Disqualification due to the receipt of remuneration 
>Direct Deposit
>General Unemployment Questions
>Assistance with Job Search

Recommended Content

People also viewed...

You recently viewed...

Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.

Learn more on our .

*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.