- You qualify if you are the spouse or child of an employee who has died as a result of a work-related injury or illness. Children are eligible only if they are under age 18, are full-time students or are unable to work because of physical or mental disabilities.
What Are The Benefits?
- Surviving spouses can receive weekly benefits equal to two-thirds of the deceased worker's average weekly wage, up to the maximum of the State's Average Weekly Wage (SAWW) in place at the time of their injury or illness.
- Surviving spouses become eligible for yearly cost of living adjustments two years after the date of the injury or illness.
- If the spouse remarries, $60 a week is paid to each eligible child. The total weekly amount paid to dependent children cannot exceed the amount the spouse had been receiving.
For How Long?
- Surviving spouses can receive these benefits for as long as they remain dependent and do not remarry.