For Immediate Release - April 17, 2014

Free-of-Charge Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services Available to Victims of Boston Marathon Bombings

Boston:  The Massachusetts Office for Victim Assistance (MOVA) has granted over $260,000 to the MA Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (MCDHH) to provide for specialized hearing and auditory services for victims injured at the Boston Marathon bombing attacks last year.

Funded through a federal grant offered by the Department of Justice, Office for Victims of Crime, a specialized advocate housed in MCDHH will connect victims with services in their areas that include audiograms, comprehensive evaluations, and the development of long-term treatment plans to assist with injuries relating to hearing loss.  Services are free of charge and will be available through April of 2016.

“MCDHH has a long history of partnering with agencies to provide critical services.  We are especially pleased to see those affected by the Marathon bombings receive the support and care they need,” said Heidi Reed, Commissioner of MCDHH.

“Several people who were near the blast sites suffered from hearing injuries that have left long-lasting and in some cases permanent hearing loss requiring specialized assessments and treatments,” said Liam Lowney, MOVA’s Executive Director.  “We are thrilled to partner with the Commission to provide these expert services that ensure survivors have access to the evaluations, devices, and essential therapies they need.”

To learn more about these services or others available to assist victims of the Boston Marathon bombings, visit MOVA’s website at www.mass.gov/mova/boston-marathon, call (855) 970-MOVA (6682), or e-mail Stacey Corin, MOVA Victim Navigator, at Stacey.Corin@state.ma.us.