Whether you are a new or potential member, a midcareer educator, retiree or colleague, please rest assured that we will be here for you—to administer your retirement benefits and answer your questions. As you go about your career, we will be keeping a careful accounting of your contributions and interest and working to ensure that when the time comes for you to retire, you will have the information you need to enjoy a successful retirement.
This website is designed to answer most of the questions you might have about the benefits provided by the Massachusetts Teachers’ Retirement System. It also contains information on other various topics, such as:
- Your contributions — how your contribution rate is determined and what happens with your money.
- Creditable service — what constitutes creditable service and how you may establish credit with the MTRS for prior teaching or other Massachusetts public service.
- Retiring and the types of retirement allowances — how to retire and what benefits you may receive.
- Our retirement programs, publications and services — what information and assistance we provide along the way to retirement.
- Our retiree services — our mutual responsibilities once you retire from the MTRS.
Finally, on behalf of the Board and staff of the Massachusetts Teachers’ Retirement System, I am happy to have you as a visitor to our site. We pride ourselves on providing the best service to all members at all times—if you ever feel that we fall short in any area, please don’t hesitate to contact me.