Attention all benefit recipients: Important notice regarding your November payment
Unfortunately, due to human error on our part, this month's checks and direct deposit statements were incorrectly dated November 30, and not November 29, as they should have been.
If you receive your payment via DIRECT DEPOSIT:
- Your November benefit payment—which should have been deposited into your account on Friday, November 29—will not be transferred into your account until MONDAY, DECEMBER 2.
- If you incur bank fees as a result of the delay in the electronic transfer of your November MTRS benefit to your bank account, the MTRS will reimburse you. To submit a claim, please complete our one-page Benefit Recipient Reimbursement Claim Form .
If you receive your payment via PAPER CHECK: Your check will not be payable until Saturday, November 30.
As many of you will recall, a similar situation occurred in May 2012, and measures were implemented to prevent that particular problem from happening again. However, what happened this month is a result of our oversight, and unrelated to that situation. Be assured that we are taking this very seriously, and will take steps to ensure that this does not occur in the future.
Please know that we are very sorry for this delay and any inconvenience it may cause you, and sincerely regret the error.
Dear Members, please bear with us during this extremely busy time!
If you're waiting to hear from us on a request for service, we ask that you please be patient. As noted in our August newsletter, we received more than 20,000 service purchase applications after Pension Reform III, and the record-setting volume has caused lengthy processing delays. Although we had anticipated a temporary increase in the number of applications—and increased staffing levels accordingly—the volume simply and significantly exceeded our projections.
We are very sorry for any delay you may experience, and ask that you please bear with us during what is an extremely busy time for our staff. Thank you in advance for your understanding and continued patience.
NOTE: If you are retiring within the next four to six months and you have one or more service purchase applications currently pending with us, please let us know so that we may give your service purchase requests priority.
Save yourself the drive: Walk-in services are limited
Please note that, in order to allow our experienced calculations and benefits staff to focus on our top priority—making sure that members who are retiring now receive their benefit payments on time—our services to walk-ins are limited and subject to a 15-minute maximum.
If you cannot find the information you need on our website, we strongly encourage you to contact us by phone or e-mail before making the drive to Cambridge or Springfield. Our representatives are just a phone call away, and can most likely answer your questions or take your requests for additional services.
If you do visit our office, our services will be limited to:
- Reviewing any applications that you wish to submit for completeness (specifically, refund, retirement or service purchase applications)
- Answering certain general questions about MTRS processes
- Estimate your creditable service
- Determine your eligibility to purchase creditable service, or your estimated cost
- Project your retirement benefits
To obtain these services, please submit your request by phone or e-mail; we will acknowledge your request, and it will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis.
As a reminder, you can access these popular resources online:
- Downloadable forms
- Our comprehensive guide to retirement benefits, "Your MTRS Benefits" file size 2MB
Thank you in advance for your understanding!