By the Division of Banks

Licensing Requirements For Entities Which Provide Assistance To Homeowners

Under Mass. Gen. Laws chapter 93, § 24, a person engaged, directly or indirectly, in conducting a collection agency or in the business of collecting or receiving payment for others of any account, bill or other indebtedness shall obtain a license as a collection agency from the Division. It is the position of the Division of Banks that an entity providing information to homeowners about FHA relief programs that does not directly or indirectly engage in demanding payment from borrowers but receives a fee from the FHA is not required to obtain a license as a collection agency in the Commonwealth. The activities of such an entity must be limited to providing assistance to borrowers in the form of information and coordination with FHA relief programs.