Background regarding Division of Banks Selected OpinionsThe publication of these Selected Opinions, as well as the previously issued Annual and Quarterly Digests, is part of the Division's ongoing effort to continue to improve its communication with all those who have a vested interest in the financial services industry. Through these Selected Opinions and Digests, the Division offers its perspective on current issues and questions in the financial services industry. As always, requests for opinions from the Division must be addressed directly to the Commissioner of Banks, Massachusetts Division of Banks, 1000 Washington Street, 10th Floor, Boston, MA 02118-6400 and must include a statement of all relevant facts, cites to applicable statutes and regulatory documents and an analysis of those materials supporting your position. The Division acknowledges receipt of opinion requests by assigning each a number. Any subsequent inquiries to the Division about an opinion request should refer to this opinion number.
- Small Loan Licensing Requirement for Internet Pay-day Lending - June 26, 2006
- Does Refund Anticipation Loan Program Require a License - March 3, 2003
- Does Use of Letterhead for Backroom Services Trigger Licensing - October 15, 2001
- Do Subservices Need a License - July 9, 2001
- Requirement Of A Small Loan License For A Company Operating An Informational Website - Q1 2000
- Small Loan Licensing Exemption - Q2 2000
- Permissibility Of Charging A Borrower An Annual Maintenance Fee On An Open-End Equity Line Of Credit Where The Fee Would Be Disclosed To The Borrower - Q1 2000
- Small Loan Agency License Requirement For A Buyer and Collector Of Debt - Q4 1999
- Licensing Requirements For Out-of-State Industrial Loan Company In The Commonwealth - Q3 1999
- Requirement Of A Sales Finance Company To Acquire A Small Loan License To Assist In Making Unsecured Loans - Q3 1999
- Inquiry As To Whether Loan Officers Based At A Real Estate Office Require Separate Branch Approval - Q3 1999
- Exemption From Licensing Requirements For Subsidiary Of A National Banking Association - Q2 1999
- Permissibility To Assess Administration Fee On Consecutive Small Loans. - Q1 1999
- Licensing Requirements For Extended Automobile Service Agreements - Q1 1999
- Exemption From Licensing Requirements For State-Chartered Banks - Q4 1998
- Requirements For Separate Licenses - Q4 1998
- Licensing Requirements For Making Loans To Mobile Home Owners - Q4 1998
- Licensing Requirements For Entities Engaging In Brokering Activities With Home Improvement Contractors - Q4 1998
- Ability Of Licensed Mortgage Broker To Do Business With Its Mortgage Lender Parent Company - Q3 1998
- Possible Means For Securing Home Equity Lines Of Credit Subject To The Small Loan Act - Q3 1998
- Tax Refund Financing Businesses And Small Loan Agency License Requirements - Q2 1998
- Originating Loans Secured By First Liens On Residential Manufactured Homes - Q3 1998
- Annual Report Filing Requirements - Q2 1998
- Stages At Which Interest May Be Charged - Q2 1998
- Licensing Of Employees Of A Licensed Small Loan Agency Who Wish To Work From Their Personal Residences - Q3 1998
- Business Of Collecting Student Loans
- Licensing Requirements For Entities Soliciting Consumer Financing In MA
- License Requirements For "Loan Processing Centers" - Q4 1997
- Permissibility Of A Non-Bank Entity Displaying Signs Indicating That Financing Is Available Through A Particular Bank - Q4 1997
- The Applicability Of The Small Loan Rate Order To Late Fees and Student Loans Which Capitalize Interest - Q3 1997
Retention of Small Loan License - March 1, 1996
Past opinions of the Division of BanksCopies of past opinions may be obtained for a fee from the Division's Consumer Assistance Unit at (617) 956-1502, and must be paid for by check. The Division's Regulations, found in the Code of Massachusetts Regulations (CMR - agency code number 209), are available through the State House Bookstore, State House Room 116, Boston, Massachusetts, 02133. Please contact the bookstore directly for prices at (617) 727-2834.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.