The holidays are a time of year when many people are likely to either give or receive gift certificates. It's important to remember the following so that you, your family and friends can enjoy your gift certificates completely:
- Gift certificates must remain valid for at least seven years and are not subject to any fees
- Once you have used 90% of the certificate's value, you may choose to take the remaining value in cash, or continue with the gift certificate
- Gift certificates not clearly marked with an expiration date, and issuance date, shall come with those dates clearly printed on the sales receipt, or available on line
- If the gift certificate expiration dates are not provided, the gift certificate shall be good forever
- Dormancy fees (fees charged for not using your gift certificate in a timely manner) are not allowed in Massachusetts
This content provided by the Office of Consumer Affairs.