Massachusetts General Law (MGL) c 143 § 3 defines three (3) titles for municipal building code enforcement officials (Inspector of Buildings, Building Commissioner or Local Inspector - collectively referred to as building code enforcement officials). The Inspector of Buildings or Building Commissioner is the highest ranking individual in the make-up of a building department. All other building officials within a building department's office structure are referred to as Local Inspectors according to the law (although cities and towns may have varied titles for these positions; i.e. assistant inspector, deputy commissioner, etc).
Additionally, MGL Chapter 143 § 3 mandates minimum qualifications for each of these titles. It is imperative that these minimum qualifications are met or exceeded by any individual seeking certification as a building code enforcement official. The Board of Building Regulations and Standards (BBRS) will not issue certification to any individual who is not able to demonstrate compliance with these minimum qualifications. Please reference MGL c 143 § 3 to become familiar with these qualifications or you may reference the Commonwealth's Application for Certification as a Building Code Enforcement Official, where the qualifications are reiterated.
All applications and forms are available via the links below.
Please contact Kim Spencer @ Kimberly.firstname.lastname@example.org or 508-422-1962 with any questions regarding the certification process. Please mail all forms to:
Office of Public Safety
Attention: Kimberly Spencer
50 Maple Street - First Floor
Milford, MA 01757-3698
508-422-1962 508-422-1954 fax
- Examination Approval Form Submit this form with an up-to-date resume. Approval is required before taking required exams -- Step One
- Building Official Continuing Education Credit Hours (August 2017)
- Memorandum Building Code Enforcement Official Certification Important - Must Read
- Laws and Regulations 780 CMR R7 Certification of Building Officials :
- Required Exams and Reference Materials February 2017
- Application for Certification Submit this after successfully completing the steps for each level of certification.
- Extension of Time Request Conditional appointees may use this to request a time extension to comply with the examination process: after 12 months for Local Inspector; after 18 months for Inspector of Buildings.
- Continuing Education Policy For all certified building officials. Conditional appointees must attain 1-hour of education each month of employment until completing the required examination schedule.
- Attachment B - Continuing Education Credit Application Form
- Attendance Sheet (Attachment A)
- Attachment C - Training Report Discrepancy Form
- Forms for City and Town Clerks:
- Exam Registration and Candidate Bulletin
- Meeting Minutes
- On-line training offered by Simpson Strong-Tie
- You will need to create a Simpson Profile on the site including your MA Building Official ID (MAID)
Energy Code Training
- CLEAResult is Mass Save's lead vendor for the Energy Code Technical Support initiative in cooperation with the Board of Building Regulations and Standards.