Q: Does Massachusetts require that producers of native lumber for use in buildings and structures be registered?

A: Yes. Producers of native lumber are required to be registered with the Board of Building Regulations and Standards (BBRS) in the Department of Public Safety (DPS).

Q. What is native lumber?

A: For purposes of the Massachusetts State Building Code, native lumber is wood processed in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts by a mill registered in accordance with the regulations of the BBS. Such wood is ungraded but is stamped or certified in accordance with specific requirements of the Massachusetts State Building Code (780 CMR). Native lumber as so defined above, is restricted to use in one- and two-family dwellings, barns, sheds, agricultural and accessory buildings and structures and other limited uses.

Q: How does one register a mill to produce native lumber?

A: Registering of a mill to produce native lumber shall be in accordance with the registration requirements set forth in the Massachusetts State Building Code, Regulation 780 CMR R4 of the Sixth Edition Building Code and Regulation 780 CMR 110.R4 in the upcoming Seventh Edition Building Code - the Application for Registration as a Massachusetts Producer of Native Lumber can be found at http://www.mass.gov/dps.