All tramways in Massachusetts must be licensed and inspected by a certified inspector prior to operation. A tramway is a device used to transport riders uphill on skis, or in cars on tracks, or suspended in the air, by the use of steel cables, chains or belts or by ropes, and usually supported by trestles or towers with one or more spans. See M.G.L. c. 143, §71I. The term Tramway includes chair lifts, J bars, T bars, platter pulls, rope tows, and moveable conveyor belts.

The Recreational Tramway Board is charged with the regulation of the construction, operation and maintenance of recreational tramways as well as the inspection, licensing and certification of inspectors. The Board derives its authority from Massachusetts General Law chapter 143, sections 71H-71S and has promulgated its own regulations which are codified in title 526 of the Code of Massachusetts Regulations.

All license and certification applications and forms can be obtained via the link below. Prior to contacting the Board with any questions, please review the FAQ ("Frequently Asked Questions") link below for further information. All applications, inquiries, or suggestions should be mailed to:

Department of Public Safety
Recreational Tramway Board
One Ashburton Place Room 1301
Boston, MA 02108

Thank you for visiting the Recreational Tramway Board website.


*** SAFETY BULLETIN - Operation Procedures Relative to Loading ***


Recreational Tramway Board Laws and Regulations


Board Members and Meetings

Jeff CrowleyChairman, Owner of a rope tow
Henry GerykDesignee of Commissioner of Department of Public Safety
Paul MaloneyOwner of a Tramway
VacantRepresentative of Tramway liability insurance company
Nate MacKinnonRepresentative of people who patronize tramways

Recreational Tramway Board Meeting Agendas & Minutes

Forms and Applications

Tramway License

Please complete the forms below as part of your application

A certificate of insurance demonstrating a minimum coverage of $1 million per occurrence as well as the licensing fee is required as part of your application. Please note that incomplete applications will not be processes and a license will not be issued. Click to view the Sample Certificate of Liability Insurance Form pdf format of inf_tramway_sample_cert_liability_ins_form.pdf (220kb).

Tramway Incident

In the case of a reportable tramway incident the Board and the State Police must be notified immediately. Within four days of the incident, the Accident Report Form (below) must be completed and returned to the Board.

An incident is reportable when a person sustains an injury, an unintentional deropement or unplanned evacuation occurs, or when a fire or failure of electrical or mechanical equipment which results in the loss of control of the tramway occurs.

Recreational Tramway Construction

Before a tramway can be constructed in the Commonwealth, the Lift Construction Form (below) must be completed and returned to the Board.

Variance Request

A ski area operator or tramway manufacturer may apply using the Variance Form (below) to the Board for a variance if compliance with the 526 CMR 10.00 is "overly burdensome." It must be demonstrated that such variance "would not compromise public safety or otherwise undermine the purpose of 526 CMR 10.00." See 526 CMR 10.12.

Application for Certification

Tramway and wire rope inspectors, wire rope splicers and NDT examiners must be certified by the Recreational Tramway Board prior to inspecting tramways or wire rope, splicing wire rope or conducting an NDT examination in the Commonwealth. To apply for certification by the Board, you must complete and submit the form below. See 526 CMR 10.03.