Q: What is a tramway?

A: A tramway is a device used to transport riders uphill on skis, or in cars on tracks, or suspended in the air, by the use of steel cables, chains or belts or by ropes, and usually supported by trestles or towers with one or more spans. The term "tramway" as defined in the Department's regulations at 526 CMR 10.01, includes the following:

a. Multi-car aerial tramways, defined as devices used to transport riders in several open or enclosed cars attached to, and suspended from, a moving wire rope, or attached to a moving wire rope and supported on a standing wire rope, or similar devices.

b. Chair lifts, defined as a type of transportation on which riders are carried on chairs suspended in the air and attached to a moving cable, chain or link belt supported by trestles or towers with one or more spans, or similar devices

c. J bar, T bar or platter pull, so-called, and similar types of devices or means of transportation which pull riders on skis by means of an attachment to a main overhead cable supported by trestles or towers with one or more spans.

d. Rope tows or similar devices and

e. Moveable conveyor belt.

Q: Do I need a license from the Recreational Tramway Board to operate a tramway?

A: Yes. All tramways as defined above can be operated legally only with a license issued by the Recreational Tramway Board.

Q: Are there penalties for operating a Tramway without a license?
A: Yes. Anybody who violates any of the rules and regulations relating to tramways will be fined not more than two hundred dollars. A person who operates a recreational tramway after a license has been suspended or revoked will be punished by a fine of one hundred dollars for each day of such operation.

Q: How do I obtain a license?

A: Prior to any Tramway being licensed in the Commonwealth, the tramway operator shall provide the following to the Board:

1. A completed license application;

2. A fee for each tramway;

3. Proof of insurance in the minimum amount of $1,000,000;

4. A certified Inspector's report;

5. A Prior to Operation ("PTO") Affidavit, if applicable;

6. A certificate of insurance demonstrating compliance with 526 CMR 10.02(2);

7. An NDT Report; and

8. A wire rope inspection report.

Q: How long is my license valid for?

A: All licenses will expire one year from the date of their issuance.

Q: Who needs a Certification?

A: Inspectors, wire rope inspectors, wire rope splicers, and NDT examiners must all obtain certification.

Q: What is a Certified Inspector?
A: A Certified Inspector is a person who has been approved and certified by the Board on an annual basis to inspect tramways pursuant to G.L. c. 143, §71J and 526 CMR 10.00.