- How can I obtain an application and instructions for the Drinking Water operators examination for a Distribution and Treatment certification?
- How often and where is the Drinking Water exam given?
- Where would I obtain a cross connection certification for surveyors and testers?
- What qualifications do I need to be eligible to take the exam for Drinking Water Operators?
- How can I obtain a copy of the Massachusetts General Laws for this Board?
- How many Drinking Water Operators classifications are there?
- How does the Board evaluate what classification I should receive?
- Where can I find out where courses are being held to prepare for these exams?
- Where can I find out about specific water information in my area?
- How do I get credit for Training Contact Hours (TCH's)?
- What is the examp process?
- Where can I get training manuals to help me prepare for these exams?
Please contact Applied Measurement Professionals (AMP) at 800-345-6559 or via their website at www.goamp.com .
The Massachusetts Drinking Water certification examinations are given at 3 locations: Saugus, Framingham and Holyoke. The examinations are administered by appointment only, Monday through Saturday.
Please contact Otavio Paula-Santos at DEP, tel. 617/556-1085 or Paul Niman at 617-556-1166. This certification is regulated by the Department of Enviromental Protection (DEP) ( not the Division of Professional Licensure)
The exam is available to anyone who wishes to apply.
Please visit the General Laws of Massachusetts web pages at www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/index.htm
They have two classifications for Certification: full status and operator-in-training.
Upon successfully passing the exam the Board will evaluate your qualifications such as your education and work experience and determine if you are eligible for a full or in-training status certificate.
New England Water Works Association
Attention: Paul Riendeau
Tel. (508) 893-7979 x244
Massachusetts Water Works Association
Attention Jennifer Pederson
Tel. (978) 263-1388
Massachusetts Rural Water Association
Attention: Dave Kaczenski
Tel. (866) 451-8099
The Department of Enviromental Protection/Division of Water Supply has regional offices:
- Water Quality Assurance Section
One Winter Street
Boston, MA 02108
- Northeast Regional Office
205 A Lowell Street
Wilmington, MA 01887
- Western Regional Office
State House West
436 Dwight Street, 4th floor
Springfield, MA 01103
- Central Regional Office
627 Main Street
Worcester, MA 01608
- Southeast Regional Office
20 Riverside Drive
Lakeville, MA 02347
- Wall Experimental Station
37 Shattuck Street
Lawrence MA 01843
For information on Training Contact Hours (TCH's), please review the Board's Policy for Renewal Training Courses .
Please view the Exam Application Information.
Although the Board does not endorse or recommend any particular training manuals, training manuals are available from the following:
- Office of Water Programs,
California State University, Sacramento,
6000 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95819-6025,
Tel: (916) 278-6142,
E-mail: email@example.com or
Fax: (916) 278-5959.
Operator training manuals and videos include: Water Treatment Plant Operation (2 Volumes), Small System Operation and Maintenance, and Water Distribution System Operation and Maintenance.
- National Environmental Service Center,
Tel: (800) 624-8301 or (304) 293-4191,
Operator Basics Training Series, National Version 2005 Small Public Water System Courses: Ground Water, Surface Water & Wastewater Lagoon Systems (Product #DWCDTR18).
- American Water Works Association Bookstore,
Tel: (800) 926-7337
Operator Certification Study Guide ,Fifth Edition: A Guide to Preparing for Water Treatment and Distribution Operator Certification Exams.