- How can I obtain an application and instructions for the Drinking Water operators examination for a Distribution and Treatment certification?
- How often and where is the Drinking Water exam given?
- Where would I obtain a cross connection certification for surveyors and testers?
- What qualifications do I need to be eligible to take the exam for Drinking Water Operators?
- How can I obtain a copy of the Massachusetts General Laws for this Board?
- How many Drinking Water Operators classifications are there?
- How does the Board evaluate what classification I should receive?
- Where can I find out where courses are being held to prepare for these exams?
- Where can I find out about specific water information in my area?
- How do I get credit for Training Contact Hours (TCH's)?
- What is the examp process?
- Where can I get training manuals to help me prepare for these exams?
Please contact Applied Measurement Professionals (AMP) at 800-345-6559 or via their website at www.goamp.com .
The Massachusetts Drinking Water certification examinations are given at 3 locations: Saugus, Framingham and Holyoke. The examinations are administered by appointment only, Monday through Saturday.
Please contact Otavio Paula-Santos at DEP, tel. 617/556-1085 or Paul Niman at 617-556-1166. This certification is regulated by the Department of Enviromental Protection (DEP) ( not the Division of Professional Licensure)
The exam is available to anyone who wishes to apply.
Please visit the General Laws of Massachusetts web pages at www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/index.htm
They have two classifications for Certification: full status and operator-in-training.
Upon successfully passing the exam the Board will evaluate your qualifications such as your education and work experience and determine if you are eligible for a full or in-training status certificate.
New England Water Works Association
Attention: Paul Riendeau
Tel. (508) 893-7979 x244
Massachusetts Water Works Association
Attention Jennifer Pederson
Tel. (978) 263-1388
Massachusetts Rural Water Association
Attention: Dave Kaczenski
Tel. (866) 451-8099
The Department of Enviromental Protection/Division of Water Supply has regional offices:
- Water Quality Assurance Section
One Winter Street
Boston, MA 02108
- Northeast Regional Office
205 A Lowell Street
Wilmington, MA 01887
- Western Regional Office
State House West
436 Dwight Street, 4th floor
Springfield, MA 01103
- Central Regional Office
627 Main Street
Worcester, MA 01608
- Southeast Regional Office
20 Riverside Drive
Lakeville, MA 02347
- Wall Experimental Station
37 Shattuck Street
Lawrence MA 01843
For information on Training Contact Hours (TCH's), please review the Board's Policy for Renewal Training Courses .
Please view the Exam Application Information.
Although the Board does not endorse or recommend any particular training manuals, training manuals are available from the following:
- Office of Water Programs,
California State University, Sacramento,
6000 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95819-6025,
Tel: (916) 278-6142,
E-mail: email@example.com or
Fax: (916) 278-5959.
Operator training manuals and videos include: Water Treatment Plant Operation (2 Volumes), Small System Operation and Maintenance, and Water Distribution System Operation and Maintenance.
- National Environmental Service Center,
Tel: (800) 624-8301 or (304) 293-4191,
Operator Basics Training Series, National Version 2005 Small Public Water System Courses: Ground Water, Surface Water & Wastewater Lagoon Systems (Product #DWCDTR18).
- American Water Works Association Bookstore,
Tel: (800) 926-7337
Operator Certification Study Guide ,Fifth Edition: A Guide to Preparing for Water Treatment and Distribution Operator Certification Exams.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.