- How do I obtain a copy of the Massachusetts General Laws pertaining specifically to the MA LA Board?
- How do I obtain a verification of my MA license?
- Who administers the exams for MA licensure and what type of examination is administered?
- What does MA require before I can register for the exams?
- When are the Landscape Architect examinations administered?
- Is there a deadline for exam applications?
- I passed the LARE how do I get licensed?
- How often do MA licenses expire?
- Does the Massachusetts Board have reciprocity for licensure?
- What if I have taken parts or all of the CLARB sections without prior MA Board approval?
- What are the Landscape Architecture Associations available?
- Is there a standard seal requirement for Massachusetts registered Landscape Architects?
- How do I reinstate a MA LA license that is lapsed/expired?
Please visit the General Laws of Massachusetts web pages at www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/index.htm
Verification of licensure may be requested in writing or by submitting the respective other state form with the required fee $15 by check or money order to the Board office. Alternatively a request can be submitted using the online E-licensing interface. If you have requested a verification through CLARB you must subsequently pay the fee before the Board will update the CLARB record.
The Landscape Architect Registration Examination (L.A.R.E.) is a multiple choice and graphics examination administered by the Council of Landscape Architectural Registration Boards (CLARB), a national organization. CLARB's website is www.clarb.org . Please visit CLARB’s website for more information on the examination.
NO! Massachusetts laws require a first time applicant to submit an application to the Board of Registration, who will approve the applicant for testing. Please see the "Applications and Forms" section of this website to obtain an application for first time testing.
Please see the CLARB website www.clarb.org for the L.A.R.E. Administration dates, deadlines and fees.
Because each section of the test is offered several times each year, the Board of Registration reviews applications on a year round basis. Complete and submit the application to the Board before beginning testing.
Once you have passed all sections of the LARE you may initiate licensure by mailing a printout of your successful report from CLARB along with the license fee of $66 via check or money order to:
MA Board of Landscape Architects
1000 Washington St suite 710
Boston MA 02118
You may also visit the E-licensing portal to pay the fee by credit card.
Licenses are renewed annually, and expire January 31 of each year if not renewed. Licensees are mailed ONE (1) notification. It is the Licensee's responsibility to notify the Board of any change of address, and to renew his/her license annually.
Yes. See the Reciprocity/Examination Form on our Applications and Forms page.
Should a candidate begin taking the sections of the L.A.R.E. directly through CLARB and would like to obtain a Massachusetts landscape architectural license, he/she must submit a first time candidate application to the Board along with a letter outlining the situation and a copy of the test dates and results. The Board will review each situation on a case-by-case basis. The Board may require the candidate to complete the L.A.R.E. testing in the state in which it was started, and then submit an application for reciprocity for a Massachusetts license.
The Council of Landscape Architectural Registration Boards (CLARB)
Boston Society of Landscape Architects (BSLA)
Yes. For the purpose of certifying plans, specifications, and reports, the seal referred to in M.G.L. c. 112, § 100 shall be of the size and design authorized by the Board as illustrated below: SAMPLE SEAL
There is an application process that must be approved by the full Board prior to reinstatement. Please visit the Applications and forms section of the Board’s main page for the application and instructions to request reinstatement of licensure.