By the Division of Professional Licensure

How can I obtain a copy of the Massachusetts General Laws for this Board?

Please visit the General Laws of Massachusetts web pages at


What type of examination is administered and who administers it?

The Landscape Architect Registration Examination (L.A.R.E.) is a multiple choice and graphics examination administered by the Council of Landscape Architectural Registration Boards (CLARB), a national organization. CLARB's website is . The multiple choice sections are A, B and D. The graphics sections of the L.A.R.E. are C and E.


May I apply directly to CLARB as a first time candidate?

NO! Massachusetts laws require a first time applicant to submit an application to the Board of Registration, who will approve the applicant for testing. Please see the "Applications and Forms" section of this website to obtain an application for first time testing. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts retains the services of a testing service to provide applications and coordinate testing.

The testing service provides additional information on its website as to the procedures, processes and deadlines for applicants.


When is the Landscape Architect examination administered?

Please see the CLARB website for the L.A.R.E. Administration dates, deadlines and fees.


What is the deadline for applications for FIRST time candidates?

Because each section of the test is offered several times each year, the Board of Registration reviews applications on a year round basis.  Complete and submit the application to the Board before beginning testing.


How often do I have to renew my license?

Licenses are renewed annually, and expire January 31 of each year if not renewed. Licensees are mailed ONE (1) notification. It is the Licensee's responsibility to notify the Board of any change of address, and to renew his/her license annually.


Does Massachusetts have reciprocity?

Yes. See the Reciprocity/Examination Form on our Applications and Forms page. 


What happens if I have started taking the CLARB sections without submitting an application to the Massachusetts Board of Registration for Landscape Architects?

Should a candidate begin taking the sections of the L.A.R.E. directly through CLARB and would like to obtain a Massachusetts landscape architectural license, he/she must submit a first time candidate application to the Board along with a letter outlining the situation and a copy of the test dates and results. The Board will review each situation on a case-by-case basis. The Board may require the candidate to complete the L.A.R.E. testing in the state in which it was started, and then submit an application for reciprocity for a Massachusetts license.


Are there any Landscape Architecture Associations that I can contact?

The Council of Landscape Architectural Registration Boards (CLARB)
1840 Michael Faraday Drive, Suite 200
Reston, VA 20190
T. 571-432-0332

Boston Society of Landscape Architects (BSLA)
19 Harrison Street
Framingham MA 01702
T. 508-620-5018