- 7.01: Scope, Purpose and Regulatory Authority
- 7.02: Definitions
- 7.03: Continuing Education Requirements
- 7.04: Verification of Continuing Education Activities
7.01: Scope, Purpose and Regulatory Authority
(1) The purpose of continuing education is to assure high standards for the practice of mental health counseling, marriage and family therapy, rehabilitation counseling and educational psychology by requiring licensees to participate in on-going educational activities. Through these experiences, licensees increase their competence and enhance the knowledge obtained during prior education and training.
(2) The Board promulgates 262 CMR 7.00 pursuant to M.G.L. c. 13, § 90.
Board: The Board of Registration of Allied Mental Health and Human Services Professions.
Board-recognized Entities: Entities that the Board has designated as appropriate to approve sponsors of continuing education activities. Entities may define CE (Continuing Education) content areas appropriate for the specific license. Designate entities may define procedures for the sponsors to follow in the delivery of CE activities.
Contact Hour: The unit of measurement for an organized learning experience lasting 50 consecutive minutes.
Entity Approved Sponsors: Continuing Education Providers that have been approved by Board recognized entities to sponsor continuing education activities. Sponsors may include, but are not limited to, colleges and universities, professional institutes, other workshop providers, and other professional training organizations.'
7.03: Continuing Education Requirements
(1) All licensees are required, as a condition of license renewal, to complete a minimum of 30 contact hours of continuing education activities per licensure/renewal period (every two years). These contact hours must be in compliance with Board approved entities' requirements.
(2) Failure to comply with the continuing education requirements of 262 CMR 7.00 will result in the non-renewal of the license.
7.04: Verification of Continuing Education Activities
(1) Effective for each licensure/renewal period commencing January 1996, each licensee will be required to submit a statement on the license renewal form provided by the Board attesting to satisfaction of the continuing education requirements of 262 CMR 7.00.
(2) For each contact hour earned by participation in continuing education activities offered by Entity-approved Sponsors, the licensee must be able to provide documentation of the following information upon request of the Board.
(a) the title of the program;
(b) the number of program hours completed;
(c) the name of the Entity Approved Sponsors of the program;
(d) the name of the Board-recognized Entities approving the programs;
(e) the date of the program; and
(f) official verification of attendance at such program.
(3) The Board may randomly audit licensees for satisfaction of the continuing education requirements of 262 CMR 7.00.
(4) The Board may request the information described in 262 CMR 7.04(2) for two prior licensure/renewal periods.
(5) Entity-approved sponsors of continuing education activities will be expected to maintain records of the names of all program attendees and the number of hours awarded for attendance at each program for a minimum period of five years from the date of the program.
262 CMR 7.00: M.G.L. c. 112, §§ 163 through 172; M.G.L. c. 13, §§ 88 through 90