Instructions for JOURNEYPERSON license exam application
- Please download the Exam Information Bulletin from the website and read all instructions before starting your exam application.
This is an application for Journeyperson license J-1 (un-restricted) and J-2 (restricted) status. To qualify for a journeyperson license applicants must have a high school diploma or G.E.D., have completed all required field and education hours, and be of good moral character. Your application must include a recent 2” x 2” color passport photo.
- Applicants will need to carefully read items # 4 and # 5 below and be sure to select the appropriate exam on the application form. If you have any questions, contact the Board before sending the application. Incomplete applications will only remain open for 180 days after which a new application and fee is required. See www.mass.gov/dpl/boards/sm for a link to the latest email and telephone information.
- To qualify for an unrestricted J-1 license you are required to include documentary proof satisfactory to the Board of having a high school diploma or G.E.D. and completed, within ten years preceding this application, 8000 hours of licensed apprentice training and 750 hours of Board approved training classes over a period of no less than five years.
- To qualify for a restricted J-2 license you are required to include documentary proof satisfactory to the Board of having a high school diploma or G.E.D. and completed, within ten years preceding application, 4800 hours of licensed apprentice training and 450 hours of Board approved training classes over a period of no less than three years. Restricted license is limited to residential dwellings 3-stories or less and commercial projects 10,000 square feet or less within buildings 2-stories or less.
- Journeyperson applicants are required to include a copy of your “statement of experience” form and the “verification of education” form available on the Board website.
- Journeyperson applicants that have out of state, out of country or other non-Board approved sheet metal training, education or work experience should contact the Board office for information on applying for credit towards their journeyperson license. No credit will be given for any work experience in Massachusetts after February 19, 2011 without being a licensed apprentice employed by a master sheet metal worker.
- Candidates that fail an examination will have 6 months from the application approval date to successfully retake the examination; otherwise candidates will need to submit a new application.
- Candidates that have not successfully passed the exam after three attempts shall provide satisfactory proof to the board of having successfully completed self-designed learning objectives or successful completion of an examination preparation course.
- If you are ineligible Social Security Number, contact the Board for instructions.
- Please note the personal or business address that you choose as your mailing address is public record and will be released to anyone upon request.
- If you have been convicted of a crime you must list all offenses inclusive of OUI, DUI, and Operating after/with suspended license or registration. Dispositions of “continued without finding” (“CWOF”) or “admission to sufficiency of facts” must also be reported. Do not include minor traffic offense(s).
- Please complete and include a copy of the CORI authorization form provided in the application package.
- Please include a check or money order for $155.00 in U.S. funds made payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the fee is not refundable. Please note that your application will not be processed without the correct fee. The fee includes both application processing and your first license.
- The exam vendor (PSI) will contact you when your application is approved. Scheduling of your exam and payment of the exam fee will be handled directly through the exam vendor.
Donwnoad PDF Form Apply Online